PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I spend time on TR and like the others focus on Pipestud and Jiminks.I have to remember Pipestud is a Tobaccostud and likes strong N and taste. I think the stars/ratings are useful as a guideline. If I see a lot of one stars I check out why. I seem to like blends that have at least a 2:1 ratio of 4 stars to 3 stars and zero to few 1 or two stars. Not a science but guidelines.As an example, check out Tudor Castle on TR,it is one that I "found" and I love it. It has the best "Review Star Profile" bar none. I also tend to avoid tobaccos with only a couple few reviews.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
It's not just you. I have to admit, I'm able to grasp the flavors of a blend more than I did when I first started. Some tips I have for you are, paring your tobacco with a drink that brings out the flavors. French inhaling apparently helps apparently. The downside is you're getting a concentrated secondhand smoke when French inhaling. Some people have very sensitive taste buds, but sometimes I think people bullshit on reviews.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I won't use your proper name unless you say its ok, but you forgot to mention one important thing. an that is your a smoker, unless you give up cigs its going to be very difficult to adjust your palate to the finer tastes of pipe tobacco. I was in the same boat as you. I had to smoke the strongest pipe tobacco I could get to enjoy any taste, an then the tongue bite was there. because cig smokers inhale very hard an you can't do that with a pipe. slow an soft is key to pipes.an remember fight the urge to inhale, blow some thru your nose that helps a lot. good luck.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
no problem. scrooge, you can mention my name. when it comes to cigs, I am more of a rec smoker. now and then. I recently decided to smoke ryo only, if I will smoke a cig. never liked strong cigs. I think my tongue burns comes from puffing too fast and hard. restrain is difficult to me. I am going to take a week off and use a lot of chamomile and mint tea to cure my tongue. Then I gonna try smoking on the count: Puff, count to 25-30 before puffing again. Thank so much gentleman for your advises. I really like being a part of this community.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I am going to take a week off and use a lot of chamomile and mint tea to cure my tongue.

Try milk, yoghurt or ice cream if your tongue needs triage right now. Milk, again, is the best thing to drink while smoking. If you're like me and you loathe milk, try drinking ice water with lemon next time you pick up the pipe. This will help to buffer the acidic smoke that is aggravating your tongue.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Milk, again, is the best thing to drink while smoking
I second drinking liquids when you smoke and yes milk does soothe my tongue but I stopped drinking dairy in my drinks while smoking after hearing a presentation by Russ O. He mentioned how the fat in dairy covers your taste buds and makes "true" tasting more difficult. I am not sure if I can tell the difference yet but Russ has never steered me wrong yet.
I would like to add my thanks to Cortez for adding those posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.