PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have been trying and smoking some Orientals recently and have fallen hard for the McClelland Grand Oriental series thanks to the generosity of a fellow piper. I've also been smoking Dunhill's EMP for years, pounds of it in fact and I've had both the Murray's version and the much improved Orlick, IMO, offering. All this time I've considered EMP to be in the bracket of a "light" English and now it's starting to make me wonder if it should be classified as an Oriental? A good portion of what I love about this blend is easily detected in these other so called Oriental tobaccos minus the gentle pinch of Latakia that's supposedly present in EMP.

My question to those of you who are much better at discerning these things is what catagory do you place EMP? Not that any of it really matters in the grand scheme of things but I find that descriptions get clouded along the way and it's often helpful to have a more black and white definition for those that are seeking out new to them blends.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I haven't smoked enough Orientals to make a good call on it but I've seen it called an English and an Oriental. I personally consider it an english blend.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
EMP is listed as an English blend but I understand your point. I think because the latakia content is higher than the Orientals it's considered an English. By any name it is a fine blend and a joy to smoke.

This is a good question for Russ O. and I'll ask him at our pipe club meeting next week.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Latakia is an Oriental tobacco. It's simply

Cured differently than other Orientals. I comsider

EMP to be a Virginia with a bit of Oriental leaf.

Of exactly what Oriental leaf that is, I dot know.

A fine blend but I favor GLP Picadilly.

Mike S.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I consider EMP an oriental-forward English blend. In fact, I find the orientals so demonstrative that it comes across harsh for me; it isn't one of my favorites.
That said, I thoroughly enjoy many other oriental-forward blends, so I'm not sure why this one is harsh for me. But it's the last thing I want in the early morning.
Bob

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
While I usually find that Bob's tastes impeccable, I'm afraid on this one at least, I must disagree with him. I do like to start my day with EMP and do so regularly. Good thing we all have different tastes or I'd have a hard time finding some of my favorites!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Some interesting perspectives. Mikestanly is correct in that Latakia is in fact an oriental but percentage wise, I have no idea where the line is drawn when a blend becomes more English and less oriental.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Oh I think in the broader sense of the term you would have to classify EMP as a "English" blend. It isn't an aromatic and it isn't a straight Virginia, VaPer or a Burley blend. Kind of like a Smart car and a Lincoln Town Car are both cars.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.