PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
I believe the “new” Dunhills are being made in Spain of Spanish briar, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
My first one was a straight Ruby Bark billiard that had drilling that would not pass a pipe cleaner
I’m sure they’ve made a mistake or two in over a century of building pipes, but you don’t sell pipes at premium prices for over 100 years by turning out a consistently subpar product.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but you don’t sell pipes at premium prices for over 100 years by turning out a consistently subpar product.
That depends on how good marketing strategies and who you market to. The company I work for just bought a micrometer for $1800 made by the same brand and model number of the one I use on RC helicopters that was $150.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
In my opinion they are very good quality but not twice as good as other good pipes ...
So they are much too expensive because it pays especially the brand, the image of luxury product.

A bit like the perfume and others, it is always the same principle we pay the quality but too expensive, to have the image of class that goes with ... :mrgreen:

It's good that we have the financial means that go with it. 8)

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Dunhill estates are worth it since they hold their value if kept in good condition. If bought new then lop off 1/2 the retail price as a luxury tax.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Atlantis rose out of the sea en masse and was incorporated into the planet from which the aliens that had populated it originated. As they work cheap, the mercenaries who own "The White Spot" pipes are having them made there. The 100% markup is not only due to these greedy bastards but also the steep price of delivery.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Plenty of opinions in this response. I think the OP probably has his own thoughts based on the question posed. Consider it's a gift from your wife and cherish that aspect first.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting on Embers' review that the blend he's stuffed into his Dunhill. I imagine it goes something like...
On opening the tin has an earthy smell, almost loamy like the richness of a properly prepared garden soil. The leaf has some mossy tendencies, but displays a few aggressive twigs. When lit, a distinct campfire smell ignites your olfactory senses and the flavor starts tangy and finishes with a light pine...

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I agree with mwsmoker. He pretty much nailed it. Also, old geezer is giving good advice to look to the UK vendors an our Italian sponsors for new Dunhills. You can save a lot. I can testify that Al Pascia is amazing.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Thank You to all for your input....Needed a good Airplane Slap Scene. Dunhill Estate pre 60's will be

on the list...For now going with Artisan..Had my eye on Randy Wiley, Neerup, Castello and a few other's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhills are an older idea of elegance, a bit like driving a Cadillac or Lincoln, but they do have a careful and classy finish on them, and the shaping is profoundly traditional, like buying a bespoke English tailored suit. If I were anteing up for a Dunhill new, I'd shop with Al Pascia, one of our sponsors, for a good price, or for an estate, go to a reputable seller. For those who get bitten by the bug, sometimes nothing else will do. I'm still somewhat affronted by the prices, some places about seven hundred bucks for the standard item.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The greedy bastards that own The White Spot" pipes (what a ridiculous name) are also savvy as despite the considerable debunking of the brand, there is still probably no more revered name in the pipe world. At twice the price I'm sure sales are fine. But I wonder what the effect of shopping around for the cheapest place of manufacture will have.
What I've most admired about the brand is the purity of classical shaping. I love looking at them but would never buy.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Go ahead and get a Dunhill, but first you have to be comfortable with them being 100% overpriced. Factory pipes hand-finished. You can do much better."
Couldn't have put it better myself. Just another machine made pipe with little to no human involvement in the product other than to give it a quick polish followed by a cursory inspection afore shipping out.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just another machine made pipe with little to no human involvement in the product other than to give it a quick polish followed by a cursory inspection afore shipping out.
:clap:

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
“No human involvement?” The Dunhill hate is really getting to ridiculous levels.
Didn’t know the CNC machine existed 100 years ago. Oh, but you just meant more modern Dunhills? This video shows all the machines making pipes at Dunhill. https://youtu.be/MYnTrQDhGTk Oops, forgot - it doesn’t. It shows a saw, lathe and buffer being used by humans to make Dunhill pipes, the same way most “artisan” carvers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.