PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brelh

Lurker
Feb 14, 2023
Hello!
I am a new piipesmoker and got a new pipe a week ago, my first more "serious" pipe. I am really trying to take care of it but since I'm a newbie I tend to make mistakes and I maybe overcared it. The side of my bowl looks damaged, it looks like I have damaged the coating or the wall of the bowl with a pipe cleaner's end. I have attached some pictures. Can anyone help to decide if I have to worry about it or I can just wait until some cake covers it?Image - Copy (4).jpegImage - Copy (3).jpegImage - Copy (5).jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are unlikely to do any damage with pipe cleaners. You do have to go very easy with reamers, especially for new pipe smokers. I scoop out the ashes and wipe out the chamber with an abrasive paper towel and never use a reamer. This also maintains the full diameter of the chamber for the life of the pipe. Many love to build cake, so it is up to you.

Brelh

Lurker
Feb 14, 2023
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses, I really appreciate it!
I may have been posting my question at a lucky time to receive replies so fast or its a very live community

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I always fold a pipe cleaner in half and brush out ash with the bend so I don’t have to worry about scratching anything with the pointed end. This is a good way to finish using it once you’ve run it through the stem both ways to wick up moisture.

Welcome to the forums!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
So.. Did you guys hear about a cowboy with brand new boots dancing with a girl without undie thinking he had a crack on his boots?

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Are you using a hard flame jet lighter?Is so,stop,and use a soft flame,or a match. Could be the bowl Coating coming off,too.This happened to me.A new pipe and the coating just started bubbling up and flaking off before my very eyes.I took an abrasive cloth,and cut the remaining coating away,and built the cake myself,and now is one of my favorite pipes.