PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of my buddies did VA to Sturgis one year, on a HD Bad Boy Springer. And immediately regretted it.

Another buddy did it in one day on a Triumph America, which I had put a big-bore kit on it and Mikuni racing carbs.
He called me from somewhere in Iowa and said he blew up the bike. He'd been doing 100 mph plus for an hour or so and the bike just quit. I said how many miles on the tank of gas. He said 75. I said switch to reserve. He did, bike fired right up, he was out of gas...
(it was my advice to not make a 3,000 mile trip on a untested bike with that kind of new performance upgrade, gratefully no true mechanical issues)

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I keep going back and forth on trying a Iron Butt. As much as I'd really love to accomplish that, I'm no longer going out of my way to prove that to myself. On my '09 V Star 1300, mostly stock, it feels like 300 in a day is about enough. And usually the last 50 miles is spent mercilessly cursing everything around me.

Having a passenger helps extend my day. My oldest daughter (15 years old) recently started coming out with me on the back. First, she's the perfect passenger. A 15 year old girl weighs less than a sissy bar bag, so I find myself every now and then checking to make sure she's still there. But it mostly helps because I'm more conscious of rest breaks.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I have rode since I was 14-15. My wife and I go on rides but usually keep it around 300-400 miles in a day. We ride a Heritage Classic. An iron butt ride doesn’t even appeal to me lol.
Love the Heritage Classic. Such a nice riding bike. 300 miles is a good day. Not many want to do the Iron Butt ride for good reason. I must have a huge hole to fill in my psyche, and riding seems to fill it. You keep on riding as you like!

Reactions: Jbrewer2002
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
One of my buddies did VA to Sturgis one year, on a HD Bad Boy Springer. And immediately regretted it.

Another buddy did it in one day on a Triumph America, which I had put a big-bore kit on it and Mikuni racing carbs.
He called me from somewhere in Iowa and said he blew up the bike. He'd been doing 100 mph plus for an hour or so and the bike just quit. I said how many miles on the tank of gas. He said 75. I said switch to reserve. He did, bike fired right up, he was out of gas...
(it was my advice to not make a 3,000 mile trip on a untested bike with that kind of new performance upgrade, gratefully no true mechanical issues)
:ROFLMAO: Over 80MPH the mileage drops quickly. I will be doing 3000 in 3 days this weekend, but I have a well broken in HD with a 117 in it. I should be good. You have to be disciplined, but it is not a race.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I would worry more about the cupcakes riding in the back. My friend used to do that. As did his father. His father used to do it on Honda Gold Wing. My friend used ride Honda sport model until that Gold Wing became his. He tried Harley. Said it was fun, but hard on his body.

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Chopper
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I keep going back and forth on trying a Iron Butt. As much as I'd really love to accomplish that, I'm no longer going out of my way to prove that to myself. On my '09 V Star 1300, mostly stock, it feels like 300 in a day is about enough. And usually the last 50 miles is spent mercilessly cursing everything around me.

Having a passenger helps extend my day. My oldest daughter (15 years old) recently started coming out with me on the back. First, she's the perfect passenger. A 15 year old girl weighs less than a sissy bar bag, so I find myself every now and then checking to make sure she's still there. But it mostly helps because I'm more conscious of rest breaks.
My oldest daughter has done 3 Iron Butt rides as passenger, one 1500 miles in 24 hours. I cherish those rides. She is now married and 8.5 months pregnant, so I think her riding days are done. My 3000 trip is going out to meet the new grand baby. These are great bonding activities that she will remember even after you are long gone

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I would worry more about the cupcakes riding in the back. My friend used to do that. As did his father. His father used to do it on Honda Gold Wing. My friend used ride Honda sport model until that Gold Wing became his. He tried Harley. Said it was fun, but hard on his body.
If you want comfort, stay at home on your couch! You can turn on YouTube and watch people like me living life while you stay nice safe dry fat and comfortable. I would rather live life fast and dangerous than watch others doing the same.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you want comfort, stay at home on your couch! You can turn on YouTube and watch people like me living life while you stay nice safe dry fat and comfortable. I would rather live life fast and dangerous than watch others doing the same.
Bikes are fine. My father used to ride with me in between him and my mother. Just not my thing. More into human powered things. Who you calling fat! I'm 5'10" at 155 lbs x) Do need gain weight, actually.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I ride. That’s for sure. Iron Butt rides. Not likely. I’ve always been about the journey. I did it once, mostly through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri on a 650 Yamaha. No windshield. I ate every bug along the way or so it seemed. View attachment 232703My current ride, stripped down for summer riding.
Beautiful bike. I once owned a Harley Heritage, basically the same bike. Great riding machine, low center of gravity and smooth ride. I love the leather color.

Thanks for sharing!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Bikes are fine. My father used to ride with me in between him and my mother. Just not my thing. More into human powered things. Who you calling fat! I'm 5'10" at 155 lbs x) Do need gain weight, actually.
I wasn't referring to you directly, just the concept of getting out there in life. Sounds like you personally do that from what I read in these forums. We all have our things we do in life, and on this forum we intersect with pipe smoking.

You keep living life large my friend!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
'97 Heritage Softail and I avoid the interstate. Much prefer the winding county roads where I see grazing lands and farms, forested hills, pasture and animal smells...

Got it from a younger buddy, with young kids, whose father owned it but is now in a nursing home.

It had 94,500 miles on it. Sitting right at 99,850 something now... I take short rides on some weekends for an hour or two.

Hoping to hit that 100,000 mark soon before his father moves on, just as a way of honoring and sharing all the miles & hours he spent in the saddle.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
'97 Heritage Softail and I avoid the interstate. Much prefer the winding county roads where I see grazing lands and farms, forested hills, pasture and animal smells...

Got it from a younger buddy, with young kids, whose father owned it but is now in a nursing home.

It had 94,500 miles on it. Sitting right at 99,850 something now... I take short rides on some weekends for an hour or two.

Hoping to hit that 100,000 mark soon before his father moves on, just as a way of honoring and sharing all the miles & hours he spent in the saddle.
I loved my Heritage. Great riding bike. Low center of gravity and smooth counterbalanced engine. The only problem I had is that I scraped the floorboards right off the damn thing!!

Reactions: FLDRD
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I had that problem when we rode the tail of the dragon. With my wife on the back.
Scares the ol' lady, and causes pain in your ribs if she is like my wife, but the floorboards will lift several inches before anything solid makes contact. Sparks fly and your ears ring as she screams "SLOW DOWN!" giving you plenty of warning. If you keep it up, the bike will make contact at the front frame footpeg mount and hop over 2-3 feet giving you an instant stress test. If you don't have angina, then your heart is just fine. At least that is what a friend told me.... :rolleyes: