PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I am enjoying a bowl of Escudo now with a glass of Knob Creek. I like Escudo enough to have an Escudo pipe:) First time I have ever had Knob Creek. I'll have to say it a is pretty good Bourbon; however, Escudo in a big fat chunk of plateau briar can make you so damn happy anything would taste good.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
This combination is basically like a long draw of cocaine finished off with a pile of hookers. (My sophisticated review of the pairing)
My recommendation is to go with Escudo and Knob Creek if you enjoy Lazy Boys and freedom.

emarkle

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
Plenty of good Bourbon out there, but I have to say nothing holds a candle to Islay Single Malt Scotch. Laphroaig being my favorite.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Love the pairing, but I can never get the hookers to stay that long. [:|]
They always leave when I run out of Escudo too..... hookers, what goes through their minds?

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
emarkle,
Laphroaig is one of my favorites...been enjoying their quarter cask recently. Have you tried Ardbeg or Lagavulin? 2 other great Islays.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Now here we go, nothing better at night than a 18 YO Laphroaig. I hope they never run out of peat. For a party Bookers and a great just sit down and sip Elijah Craig 12 will do but the 18 is heaven.
For a cross between this side of the pond and the other try Wasmunds single malt. I went to see Rick at his place and it has notes of fresh fig and vanilla, a real treat.

fyfbuddy

Lurker
Sep 24, 2011
I have not ventured into Irish Whisky or Scotch yet. I am a bourbon fan. I recently tried Parkers Heritage 10 year....DELICIOUS!

Sep 15, 2011
for you bourbon fans: if you haven't been on the bourbon trail in KY it is worth the trip...some buddies and i rode down on our motorcycles and spent three days, all in the pouring down rain, visiting different distilleries on the trail (Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, Heaven Hill, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, and Wild Turkey)...there are others that aren't associated with the official kentucky bourbon trail, namely Buffalo Trace...for my money, Woodford gets the vote...never had a bad pour of Woodford...paired with a splash of water or a couple of ice cubes you can't go wrong...but with all of you guys singing the praises of Jameson i feel like i've been missing out...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Not a bourbon fan. I'm not a big drinker, but I'll take a single malt now and then. Highland Park 12 and Tallisker are very nice. With the weather turning cooler it will probably be time to have a little Lagavulin now and then. All lovely with a good latakia blend or perhaps a cigar. And never, ever with ice.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Bourbon.....Austin Nichol's Wild Turkey (have gone through more than I care to remember) Recently have been drinking Old Forrester, sometimes Maker's Mark or Knob Creek.

Scotch......Finlaggan Single Malt

Irish.......Jamesons (on occasion)

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Not sure if I just haven't acquired the taste for it yet, but given the choice of drinking my maker's mark or glenlivet, or a craft brew IIPA, I'm going to take the IIPA. Every once in awhile I'll have a glass of spirits, but right now, I just appreciate a good beer a lot more..

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
Ever since I've been enjoying a pipe I've noticed my tastes have changed. I've been sipping more brandy and not so much whiskey, St. Remy's Brandy is the stuff and it goes well with a pipe.
stremy.gif

ST REMY Authentic French Brandy VSOP is exclusively elaborated from the distillation in France of exceptional varietal wines harvested in the legendary vineyards of France.
Thanks to a longer ageing, in small barrels, ST REMY Authentic French Brandy VSOP acquires a magnificent amber colour with golden highlights.
Bouquet :

The blend of the fruitiness and the “acid drop” of the eau-de-vie reveal notes of cherries and raspberries with touches of vanilla and oak.
Taste :

A very complex brandy thanks to richness of the distillates from the French vineyards. First strong and dry, then rounded with a fine complexity. Red fruits aromas, vanilla and woody notes. Suave and well balanced.

alistairjames

Lurker
Oct 15, 2011
I may be new to pipes but you're talking my language when it comes to booze, and spirits moreso (in fact I would love to own a distillery some day). I'm not really a fan of Irish or American but I adore Scottish single malts. I've got a few go-tos such as Aberlour A'bunadh (stunning value for money, bottled at around 60%), Springbank, Bowmore and Glenfarclas but I'm open to trying new things. The Japanese seem to have a real skill for whisky too - their malts are like highly polished Scotch... too perfect for some. But Yamazaki 18 is one of my all time favourites.
Any UK based Scotch fans should check out the dream drams website if they've not done so already as they offer some fantastic bargains such as a 21 y.o. cask strength Tomintoul (tasty stuff!)
I'm also a big lover of rum, my favorites being Bristol Classics Port Morant 1991, Trois Rivieres single cask, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Ron Zacapa. And the dearly departed Pyrat Planter's Gold =(
As my next point is so important I've saved it for last. I noticed someone else has recently experienced the joy of Ardbeg. I suggest that everyone go out and do the same. That distillery has changed my life with its offerings of big, complex and well balanced flavour. I'd recommend the Uigeadail as the next step up from 10, but if you can afford it, plough through their other bottlings - you won't be disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.