PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve found that I really like Peterson’s Irish Flake, for me the flavor, body and strength are what I can reach for many times a day.
Being cheap, I’m interested in tossing together a reasonable facsimile that I can mix from available bulk tobaccos.
This is the current mix I’m gonna try, but I think I may have better luck if I find a good dark burley.
Also I’m thinking that maybe replacing the 515-RC-1 with Five Brothers may get me closer to the strength I’m shooting for.

2-MacBaren Va #1
2-HH Old Dark Fired
1-Sutliff 515-RC-1
1-Sutliff 507-S

If anyone has tried to come close to Irish Flake, I’d appreciate any input.
IMG_0218.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
GH Bosun. Let someone else do the hard work for you! I can't think of how the strength and flavour can be replicated otherwise, but I look forward to seeing the replies.
Bosun Cut Plug I find a bit “floral”, and prefer Coniston Cut Plug both in strength and flavor.
I love me some G&H, but their selections defeat the goal of “cheap and easy”.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I just tried the mix I listed after setting for a couple weeks in its jar. It’s closer to what I’m after, but barely hits the nic/strength I’m going for.

After these 3oz are gone, I think I will drop it to 1 part VA#1 and add 1 part Five Brothers.
I’m also curious about P&C’s Dark Fired blending bulk, if anyone knows if that’s any good I may use that in place of the ODF (to come more in line with the cheap goal).

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I’m also curious about P&C’s Dark Fired blending bulk, if anyone knows if that’s any good I may use that in place of the ODF (to come more in line with the cheap goal).
I was going to say, have you considered building it up completely from bulk blending tobaccos? The description says it's equal parts Virginia, Burley, and Dark-Fired. Jim's review makes it sound like the Virginias are a blend of bright and red, and suspects an anise topping of some kind.

If you whipped this up and put it in a noodle press, you could make your own plugs and then slice it into flakes. 👍

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I'd give C&D's bulk burleys like dark burly or burley ribbon cut a try. I'd think either would give your blend the bump in strength you seek...

Reactions: MattRVA

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I'd give C&D's bulk burleys like dark burly or burley ribbon cut a try. I'd think either would give your blend the bump in strength you seek...
4oz each of H&H Rustica and ODF hitting the mailbox today, so I think I’ll have the strength I’m looking for. C&D’s burleys haven’t really floated my boat so far but thx for the input.

My first try with a noodle press came out pretty good, so I’ll be doing some mixology on a small scale tasting ratios, then will probably whip up and stick a couple ounces in the press this weekend.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Sounds like a fun project. I'll be interested in hearing about the results 👍. On a side note, if you want to augment your cellar, pipesandcigars has Irish Flake on sale now for 9 bucks a tin...

Reactions: Streeper541

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Sounds like a fun project. I'll be interested in hearing about the results 👍. On a side note, if you want to augment your cellar, pipesandcigars has Irish Flake on sale now for 9 bucks a tin...
Thanks for the heads up on the IF. More of the real stuff would be good. I got 5 tins there when they had Peterson’s on sale last time too.

I’ll be posting here as I go. I am gonna be using C&D Winchester for the red Va and the Va cavendish it contains.

Here’s Winchester and Sutliff Match Victorian after three days trying out the new noodle press. A puck that’s just shy of 1oz and between WarHorse and JackKnife Plug in density.
I’m not under the delusion that I can make Irish Flake, but optimistic I can wind up with something very close in flavor and strength profile.
IMG_0258.jpeg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I'm going to have to investigate this noodle press business. I'm searching for a way to make the dark burley I smoke more consistent--the "ribbon cut" is so irregular.

Love that pipe rack!
Amazon for the press, $16 and it can be on your doorstep this weekend😉

Thanks on the rack-it’s a Decatur my father bought at Ian Ries probably before I was born and graced his desk all the years of my my childhood. I’m blessed he passed it down to me while he’s still here, now he’s 94 and I’m old enough to live in a retirement community (not that I’d ever want to do such).
IMG_0261.jpeg

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
That pipe rack is even greater than I thought then.

Do you moisten the tobacco before pressing? Does it crumble back to ribbon when you prepare it for smoking or could it be sliced and smoked like flake ? Reading above I see Therm says it can be sliced…this may be a solution for me

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That pipe rack is even greater than I thought then.

Do you moisten the tobacco before pressing? Does it crumble back to ribbon when you prepare it for smoking or could it be sliced and smoked like flake ? Reading above I see Therm says it can be sliced…this may be a solution for me
I may moisten, not sure yet. Just starting my journey. I’m not looking to age, just looking to meld the flavors better than tossing in a bowl.
The latter may be good enough. Just bored and consumed as American with a need to “faff around” with perfectly good tobacco😆

There’s lots of great info on noodle pressing just this forums search function or a google search away