PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Not having smoked the previous version I really enjoy the current. Nice rich smoke, no bite and one thing I like about plugs is that a bowl of this provides me a nice long smoke. My tins as well as the Irish Flake tins show a production date of January 10, 2019.
3p2-600x450.jpg

3p3-600x450.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
@hawky54 two reviews on TR state categorically that Salty Dogs is made by Orlik (STG) but I do not believe this is true. Ropers Roundels is, as the Orllick plant has the old equipment used to make Escudo. I see no need for Dan to farm out Salty Dogs as the Legg presses were commonly used to make Irish and English plugs.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
oldgeezersmoker, that’s probably where I got the idear planted in my head.
3rdguy, noice pics! Appears to look the same as it did before.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Hawky, Thank for the info on the G&H Rum an' Maple, will keep that in mind, btw, G&H has renamed few of their blends sold in

England, among others Rich dark HoneyDew , Rum Flake were renamed due to EU regulations.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Was checking on some of the sites we like...A small drop has been made...Picked up 5 Tins of Irish Flake and 3P's.
Start hunting!!!!

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Why the f’ing mystery?

Then I start getting IM's on why tell the Hoarders..So here are a few anyway for those who missed out

at 1st drop.
https://www.iwanries.com/Peterson-C292.cfm

https://www.4noggins.com/peterson.aspx

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Hate to say this but Salty Dogs and Ropers Roundels are not made at DTM. They indeed come from Orlik. I have been several times at DTM in Lauenburg and sadly those wonderful Legg presses are almost not used.. It is cheaper to import the tobacco than to make it themselves.

Oct 7, 2016
Hate to say this but Salty Dogs and Ropers Roundels are not made at DTM. They indeed come from Orlik. I have been several times at DTM in Lauenburg and sadly those wonderful Legg presses are almost not used.. It is cheaper to import the tobacco than to make it themselves
And I hate to disagree, but the origin statement on my Salty Dogg's says handmade in Germany.On a product imported into the US, a false origin statement is criminal. I have always been under the impression that Orlik was not located in Germany.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I just now, right before typing this, smoked my first bowl of Irish Flake and WOW. That is some strong stuff. I was expecting just strong tobacco taste, but was pleasantly surprised by an underlying herbal zing with a hint of sweetness. That is some damn fine tobacco. A+

Status
Not open for further replies.