PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As I was looking the Rosslare over I noticed one irksome detail. On the face of the stem there was an ugly ring of brown adhesive. I used an X-acto knife to scrape most of it off. Then rubbed the remainder off using a q-tip and lacquer thinner. Buffed it with Rottenstone. The stem fits real tight, so I buffed the tenon and applied Carnuba. Goes in a bit easier and I don’t have to worry about snapping something off. Suppose I should have got a pic of the ugly brown ring, but I got one speed - GO...

8-F05513-F-5684-4-FD3-BEE9-5-BBBB6-ADD475.jpg

703-EE538-CAA7-4-E9-B-B541-4-AD618-EB2-B54.jpg

441-E44-CF-3173-4-BFC-83-F4-0-C6-BDF5-FD5-E6.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, I now believe my misadventure with the Ashton to have been a prompting from the White Goddess to make me aware of my going astray...for immediately thereafter I began to hear her call.

There was then a span of missing time, and the next thing I remember is this IMP was in my cart and I found myself hitting the order button.

002-316-3374.4994.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I now believe my misadventure with the Ashton to have been a prompting from the White Goddess to make me aware of my going astray...for immediately thereafter I began to hear her call.

There was then a span of missing time, and the next thing I remember is this IMP was in my cart and I found myself hitting the order button.

View attachment 20441
I'll send you some gin to clean it! ?

Few things worse than a teetotaling pipe!! :eek:

Mar 1, 2014

View attachment 20441

On top of that the blackout doesn't need to be long when you've always got a selection of pipes in the shopping cart of every pipe vendor.

My episode on Saturday was invoked when I managed to cut my thumb, just sitting there feeling pain and regret for doing something stupid and then "POOF!" The order confirmation e-mail magically appears.

Reactions: brian64

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I wasn't going to get anything -- don't need anything. But, I've kinda been wanting a really traditional Zulu. SP had a Rattrays Zulu for a really good price that looks -- in the photos -- to be well made and attractive. Then, went over to Maxim's website to look at the Piersel's and saw a wonderful Tinsky Bent Bull dog for a C-note. As new, flame grain, very traditional shape, so....

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I didn't get anything! ?

I managed to get back in the black before the sale ended, but this much needed item got in the way of my PAD:

TTS055001_PARENT-0.jpg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@craig61a I don’t know what the hell is the deal with the RRI’s. My 6 has multiple issues. I still love it, but if I knew then what I know now about pipes, I would’ve sent it back unsmoked when I first got it. They can’t seem to get these pipes out the door without something being wrong. Others have reported issues specifically with RRI’s as well. Hope it smokes well, though!

For what it’s worth, the stems are tight as shit on both of mine. I sanded the tenon on the 6 and it’s still so tight that after I smoke it and disassemble to clean, I have to wait 24 hours for the wood in the shank to cool and dry enough where I can put it back together without feeling like I’m going to snap the stem.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
When I got it apart initially, I went around the inside of the mortise with a carpenter’s pencil. That didn’t help much. I made several more applications, and I was in the shop decided to lightly buff the tenon with the Rottenstone, after which i buffed the tenon with Carnuba. It was just enough to allow the stem to be reinserted without quite the same amount of force as was required previously.

Turning a tenon to fit is a process. In making replacement stems I turn until I get about .020” out, make very fine cuts until I within .005”. Then I attempt to fit the stem, and turn with say 400 grit a couple spins, attempt fit again, repeat until it almost there, the go to 1000 grit until I get it just right.

It only takes .0005” to make the difference from nice fitting to loose fitting.

Just wondering if the tight fit is because of shrinkage... but I guess I don’t mind detailing my Pete’s.

Reactions: mtwaller

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In case anyone's interested in the final chapter of the Ashton without a red dot...SPC did follow-up and inform me by email that they are sending it back to its maker, as it was indeed apparently a manufacturing mistake.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@brian64 bummer you weren’t able to snag it from them at a discount. You were right in bringing it up to them, though. I’m kind of shocked that it made it out the door without any inlay whatsoever.

Reactions: brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.