PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Do any of you ever introduce yourselves whenever you spot another pipe smoker that you don't know?
I've been working at my current job for nearly 10 years. During those 10 years, there was always this man who would smoke his pipe and read a book during his breaks. Some days, I'd spot him. Other days, I would walk by and actually get a whiff of the pipe tobacco aromas. It always smelled like chocolate, vanilla, or both. In a way, this guy was one of the main catalysts to me picking up the briar.
Anyways, fast foward to yesterday. Work was slow (and by slow, I mean I had work to do, but it's stuff I do day in and day out, so it was mindless and boring) and I decided to go out for a full bowl pipe break. I open my pipe drawer, take out my work pipe (just an estate Lorco billiard), figure out what tobacco I want (ended up going with some Capt Black White...haven't smoke it in months and I must say, after some aging, it really mellowed out and was tons enjoyable from what I last remember), fill the bowl, and head out. I walk to my normal spot and I see the man smoking his pipe on a bench, reading a book as usual (this time it was a kindle or something). I get to my spot, enjoy my pipe for an hour or so, and then start walking back. I see that he's still there, so I muster up the courage to introduce myself to him. I had envisioned that the conversation was going to be quick and meaningless and that he might've been annoyed that I was inconveniencing him, but I was wrong...
I just walk up to him, immediately apologize for interrupting him, introduce myself, and right off the bat, we were talking about pipes and pipe tobacco. I had to tell him that he was very influential to me starting off pipe smoking and he admired that fact. We talked about the local b&ms, of which I learned he used to part-time at a local b&m and got a really nice employee store discount (said the shop would have pipe sales at 50%...so that plus his 25% off employee discount = expensive cheaps for super cheap). I had to ask him about the tobacco he smoked that I always smelled when I walked by and to my surprise, he said it wasn't an aromatic at all. He said he has this homeblend of two McClelland tobaccos that aren't aromatics at all. I forget what they were, but he said that he'd give me a sample next time we smoke. I told him I'd give him some Mississippi River next time. Then he told me about other tobaccos I should try and we talked about good flake tobaccos. He even told me the history of the Rattray's or McClelland's blender who had a head injury, went into a coma, and after he came back to, he did a complete 180 and wasn't into tobacco at all and went striaght into body building or something like that. Before we parted ways,he told me there was another pipe smoker in our building and they always smoke on their 10am breaks and invited me to come along. He seemed really enthused and excited to be talking to another pipe smoker amongst all cigarette smokers.
Another cool thing was there was this lady who was sitting on the bench next to us. I can't remember if she was smoking a cigarette or if she was just sitting there. Anyways, she overhears us talking and as she got up to leave, she comes up to us and tells us that she really enjoys the smell of pipe smoke. She said that it reminds her of her father and she gets this warm fuzzy feeling inside when she smells it because it makes her think of her father, his pipes, and his tobacco cellar. So that was really cool.
It felt good to finally tell the person who influenced me to smoke that he got me into pipe smoking and it was even cooler we got to talk and smoke together. I look forward to smoking with him and the other pipe smoker soon.

Jan 8, 2013
Great story. I have introduced myself once to another pipe smoker, but it turned out he was a very occasional smoker, so the conversation was quite brief. I liked how your story turned out far more. It just goes to further prove that it is a community, not just some thing we do.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I always go out of my way to introduce myself to other pipe smokers. Let's face it, we're a minority so we should seek those who share our hobby. It's always been a rewarding experience and, usually, some very nice people. Good for you and keep it up. We piper like to talk.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I saw a middle-aged guy smoking a cob in his truck when I pulled up next to him at a stop sign. Hollered out my window that I smoke a pipe, too... "Whatcha smokin'?" I asked. "Captain Black you say?" "Okay then have a good one."
Seeing as how we were both at a stop sign, neither of us had much time for conversation.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I just did this a few weeks ago. I was driving home after an appointment with a client and I see a guy shoveling snow and smoking a pipe. I just HAD to pull over to talk to him. I didn't have a pipe with me that day but we talked a good 15 min or so. I had a pipe and baccy on me some weeks later and saw him on his porch. I stopped and asked if I could join him. He was smoking Capt Black and I offered him some ODF. He thought it was strong but I left him a few flakes to enjoy. I honk when I see him outside but haven't stopped again. Maybe when the weather makes up its mind I will have a pipe and baccy on me at all times.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would not want to be intruded upon if I was reading a book, even in public. And, I wouldn't presume to think that anyone else would appreciate such an impertinence. Perhaps if the book was on the bench and I was loading a pipe I might suffer such an interruption with a smile. But, short of a warning of impending doom I'd prefer to be left in what little solitude I was able to find in a public place.
My wife states that I am antisocial. I'm not, I am asocial. I can be around people when necessary, I just prefer not to go out of my way to socialize.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Down here in Mexico it’s rare to see a fellow pipe smoker, so much so I tend to get excited upon spotting one. In fact just the other day I was taking a seat at a sidewalk café when I noticed an ol’ timer puffing on a Peterson. I respected his space and proceeded to stuff my own Pete with some Irish Oak. After several minutes he also noticed me smoking my pipe and gave a friendly nod of approval. I held up the tin of IO and offered him some for later. Although he declined, he shortly approached me to introduce himself and we briefly discussed how rare of a breed we pipe smokers seem to be these days. I then handed him the remainder of a pouch of Exclusiv Royal I had been smoking, to which he promptly pulled out some of his prized Captain Black for me.
I did not assume that just because he was a pipe smoker he would be as excited to see me as I was to see him. On the other hand a friendly gesture is always a great way of giving someone the chance to turn it into a conversation.
Dot

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Wow, sounds like you got a ready made pipe club. I wonder you didn't talk to him before in the whole decade you worked there though.
I've never actually met anyone who smokes a pipe. As in, those who I know who smoke a pipe I knew before and it wasn't a factor in my meeting them. It's so uncommon here. I do see the odd person driving with a bulldog clenched, and have a smile to myself, but that's it. :(

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Have only seen one person around here with a pipe. Unfortunately I was driving to an appointment and unable to stop to chat. Due to strict laws here that prevent smoking almost everywhere, I rarely see anyone smoking anything other those smoking cigs in their cars.
If I do spot anyone with a pipe and am able, I'll definitely strike up a conversation!

Feb 26, 2014
That is a good story and I could see myself approaching others and starting conversation. Great minds think alike afterall.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Different personalities will react in different ways ... I, for example, am pretty social and would be open to a conversation with someone who approached me and wouldn't hesitate to approach someone else ... I've got a brother, on the other hand, who isn't particularly approachable and is almost certain to never approach someone else ...

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Excluding those i have met at b&m's after starting the pipe smoking hobby, I know zero people who smoke a pipe. Not a single one of my friends smokes a pipe and none of my relatives (that i know of) smoke or have ever smoked a pipe. I'm not one to do something just to fit in and feel normal, and i think these days, pipe smoking is quite the opposite of that. It really separates you from a crowd, but not in a way that screams, "look at me, i am CRAVING attention!" To me, piping represents individuality. There are so many choices of pipes and pipe tobacco that each person (being a minority with smoking a pipe in the first place) is able to be unique and has their own individual style of piping. It is kind of funny thinking about it now that i am writing this, but i hadn't really comtemplated the fact that i am the only person in my circle of family and friends who smokes a pipe, and it is completely fine with me. Hopefully i can convince a couple of them to join me on the better side of blissful relaxation from a piece of wood and dried up plant leaves, lol.
I am about as social as the word social gets. Some might say i make a motivational speaker look like a depressed recluse, living in a van down by the river(kudos for those who get this). I don't think anyone has ever complained of having too many friends. If they have, they are certainly no friends of mine. You can never have too many friends. Being kind, considerate and just an honest person goes a long ways in this world. There is no room for Richards, if you know what i mean. It has been beaten and trampled to death for decades as a common cliche of words, but I will kick it in the face one more time: Treat others how you would want them to treat you.
I would most certainly approach someone smoking a pipe in public in the right situation. I would guage their demeanor and mood from body language, facial expressions, what they are doing, etc. and approach accordingly. If they looked like they didn't want to be bothered, i might try to lock a quick stare to tip my pipe to them, but not take it any further. If they chose to continue the gesture with conversation, great, if not oh well, no sweat. I really take rudeness with a grain of salt, as you never know what someone else is going through or what their life situation is. That said, i am always open to make a new friend and help a fellow pipe smoker out, whether it be with friendship or any helpful advice i can offer. If they do not want it, their loss, life goes on. After all, we would not be responding to posts and creating threads in this forum if we were not social and outgoing, to some extent...

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I have never seen another pipe smoker outside of pipe club at the B&M. I think I would be the type to start with a friendly wave and see what happens. Of course, I have actually lived in a van down by river. I think Chris Farely could make anything funny.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I personally know exactly one person who smokes a pipe. He lives diagonally across the country from me, and we see each other once or twice a year. I have never seen another person smoking a pipe out in public. All the restaurants I know of where smoking is allowed at their outdoor tables have signs that read "cigarette smoking only, please no pipes or cigars". There is a pipe club I've heard of around here but I'm an outdoor smoker, and find very unappealing the thought of being in a room (regardless of the sophistication of the vent system) with a bunch of people all smoking different blends.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Its funny how pipes can easily tie into many facets of life. I'm the Sgt at Arms for the Steel City Beard and Mustache Club, and soon after I first joined the club, I came to find out a few other members are pipe smokers. In addition to that, I just found out at last meeting, one of the other SA nominees for this years elections is also a pipe smoker. So we hung out after meeting for about twenty minutes chatting tobaccos and did a quick trade-a-bowl of tobaccos we had recently gotten. I had a lot of folks comment on my pipe smoking at the St Patrick's Day parade also, and it was ALL positive. A lot of "wow, that smells delicious!" and one young lady saying to her boyfriend/husband? "OOOH! That smells so much better than what you smoke! Go ask what it is!" I volunteered that it was Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold, but no conversation came beyond that. Unfortunately, I don't see too many other pipe smokers out and about.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
It's great to hear all the stories posted! Sorry I was not able to come back after I had posted this. Had to actually get some work done (wait what...I actually got busy?!). But yeah, it's good to hear a majority of us like to strike up conversations with other pipe smokers we spot out and about.
tooted his horn as he drove by with his cob hoisted...my briar brother from another mother!
That is awesome trailboss! I like to call hoisting of the pipe the "Pipe Cheers".
I honk when I see him outside but haven't stopped again. Maybe when the weather makes up its mind I will have a pipe and baccy on me at all times.
Yaz, that's real cool. The weather sure is about to turn for the better soon, so you better have a pipe and bacco with you all the time! I've recently just acquired a pipe pouch, so every time I go out, I'll pack a pipe and some bacco, even though I know I might not get the chance to light up.
I would not want to be intruded upon if I was reading a book, even in public. And, I wouldn't presume to think that anyone else would appreciate such an impertinence. Perhaps if the book was on the bench and I was loading a pipe I might suffer such an interruption with a smile. But, short of a warning of impending doom I'd prefer to be left in what little solitude I was able to find in a public place.
Warren, I understand, that's why I was very, very apologetic as soon I popped in to say hello. I was afraid he was gonna act in a similar manner as you've stated, but luckily, he was very open and excited to talk. Just like trailboss mentioned, I'm able to notice when someone is not in the mood to talk, so if he was certainly that, I'd say my bit and then give him his peace.
we briefly discussed how rare of a breed we pipe smokers seem to be these days
Dottie, I hear that very often and I think that's why it's awesome most pipe smokers are down to talk to one another and have a smoke together. It's important for all of us to stick together!
Wow, sounds like you got a ready made pipe club. I wonder you didn't talk to him before in the whole decade you worked there though.
Angelsey - Yeah I felt like I had no reason to talk to him in the years prior since I wasn't a pipe smoker then. But it felt more appropriate to have a pipe in hand to come talk to him and it worked!
If I do spot anyone with a pipe and am able, I'll definitely strike up a conversation!
Apatim - definitely keep those eyes open whenever you're out! Actually on my way home from work as we were driving through downtown, I spotted another man stepping out of his building and packing his pipe. I tried to get a glimpse of the bacco he was packing, but all I could see was the bright turquoise pouch that made me think of American Spirit cigarette tobacco.
So during that week I went 50/50 but it hasn't stopped me. If I see a piper I always stop and say hi. If they're busy, no problem, I move on, but if not.......
Rsuninv - Hey, you broke even! That's still a win since it wasn't a complete loss! lol
Different personalities will react in different ways
Very true, SFSteves. That's why we've got to be respectable when approaching someone to try and strike up a chat. I lucked out and the guy was very down to talk to another pipe smoker.
To me, piping represents individuality.
I like that, layinpipe.
I think Chris Farely could make anything funny.
Surlysoul - Ahhh Chris Farely. Gone too, soon. One of the few actors/comedians that I wish was still around today.
All the restaurants I know of where smoking is allowed at their outdoor tables have signs that read "cigarette smoking only, please no pipes or cigars".
Shutterbug - It's amazing how this actually exists. I've seen places that have smoking sections, but have explicitly stated cigarettes only, no pipes/cigars. It makes me think that they have a special place for pipes and cigars to be smoked, but I have yet to find it! lol
I had a lot of folks comment on my pipe smoking at the St Patrick's Day parade also, and it was ALL positive. A lot of "wow, that smells delicious!" and one young lady saying to her boyfriend/husband? "OOOH! That smells so much better than what you smoke! Go ask what it is!"
Lol that's awesome Kibo! Yeah most of the reactions I get while smoking my pipe has been positive, either it smells good or it reminds me of my father/grandfather. I've gotten the "tsk tsk tsk..you know better..." a few times, but those people are super super SUPER anti-smoking.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I think its funny that when I smoke a cigar, I get dirty looks, rude comments...I even had what I call a "Billy Connolly experience" (found out after my incident, comedian Connolly did a standup bit about his very similar experience)...I had just stepped out of my old B&M cigar shop (which was practically a big double humidor) with a birthday gift from the owner. He had aged a bundle of handmades in his cellar and this one was 13 years old. I took a whiff, got my cutter out of my pocket, and a woman walking by goes "Oh lord, that smells terrible! Some people!" I looked to see if it somehow spontaneously combusted on one end or something.
I tell you that story, to set up for this: about three weeks later, same woman parks her car next to the one I'm sitting in. I'm smoking some Match Flying Dutchman in a Medico, and she stops dead, looks at me, says "Sir, that smells just like my father's study. I wasn't allowed in it as a little girl, but I would stand outside just to smell his pipe when he went in there, it was the only room in the house that was smoked in. I wish more men today were like you, and smoked with some CLASS." Perception, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.