PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@newbroom, I was reading about another guy who won several pipe smoking competitions. He says that people always ask if he is burning some wood and smoking it and the answer is no he states, because in those competitions the cadence is very slow as well as the temperature inside bowl so it is impossible to burn the wood. Interesting huh?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
All the icebergs in the world could melt instantly and the oceans wouldn't rise one centimeter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on how you define Iceberg! Those floating in the ocean wouldn't raise the sea when melted, but the ice/snow on land sure would.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I said Icebergs. Ice and snow on the land would. I also said instantly. So if Jpmcwjr, knows of any supernova in the neighborhood, now would be the time to tell us. This also means the Arctic is off the table.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I said Icebergs. Ice and snow on the land would. I also said instantly. So if Jpmcwjr, knows of any supernova in the neighborhood, now would be the time to tell us. This also means the Arctic is off the table.
Yes, you did. I conflated icebergs with glaciers. I've not sighted any nova, super or plain, recently. Besides, I'd rather not know the end of the world is hours or days away; surprise me!

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
The Large Hadron Collider accelerates particles to 99.9999% of the speed of light. The Earth is moving around the sun at 69,360.73 mph (0.0001032742 of the speed of light). Without even adding the speed that the Earth is moving through the galaxy, or the speed the galaxy is moving through the universe, haven't these particles traveled faster that the speed of light?
I thought that this would be prevented by General Relativity. If a train moves at just under the speed of light, and a passenger moves fast enough within the train so that s/he would therefore necessarily be moving faster than the speed of light, Einstein's theory falls apart, right?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We can't even get past 200 mph on US trains, so it's a long way off.
(yeah, I know that's not the point!)
Seriously, now, I doubt the hypothetical kiboshes the theory, but I can't defend my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.