Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I suspect it didn’t bring huge $ because the obvious tenon repair scared off any prospective big spenders.

I find the sellers willingness to insinuate that it might be original to be willfull ignorance at best. That’s clearly a Vernon tenon that’s been replaced with a threaded aluminum tenon, the mortise has had a briar plug glued in and then tapped.
Most sellers are liars .
Be it on purpose, be it because of ( willful ) ingorance or the irresistable tendency to speculate.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Many of Deadman's pipes are museum pieces. I never admire them very long because the auctions run prohibitively high. Back when tobacco was still on eBay, he did sell me a very rare cutter top tin of Lambert & Butler's Garrick Mixture which was superb.
I hear ya about the pricing. One of them which I just posted was super-astronomical in price, but when my wife saw ‘the bill’ it was only three months that I grabbed my meals and slept down at the Mission…..(kidding).

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I picked up this unsmoked Nording the other day. Got a great price on it. It had been up for auction a couple of weeks before and I was outbid. The winner, an overseas buyer, balked at the shipping cost. I had bought a Barling Quaint instead, so I wasn't interested in the second chance offer. Todd relisted it and I watched the auction, not intending to bid. But the price on it remained low, so at the last moment I tossed in a bid, not figuring to win it. Surprise!

View attachment 299123
Man, I’ve been in those shoes before. It’s painful and joyful at the same time! I’m happy you got to add it to your collection.

Dec 10, 2013
Does this one count? That hunk of driftwood has propped up a number of pipes in my collection as well. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one funding Todd’s pension plan!

JAMES UPSHALL RARE "E" GRADE STRAIGHT GRAIN PLATEAU FREEHAND ESTATE PIPE​

View attachment 299924View attachment 299925
Amazing wonderful straight grain.
Straight grains run from the "B", "G", "E", "X" and "XX"
Can you post the link to the auction ?

Last edited:

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Amazing wonderful straight grain.
Straight grains run from the "B", "G", "E", "X" and "XX"
Can you post the link to the auction ?
Here is the link from Worthpoint. It’s beyond 90 days so the link on eBay doesn’t work. I’ll screen shot what I can from my end if that’s what you’re looking for? This pipe is an “E”.

I purchased this pipe back in 2021.

IMG_1546.jpeg

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I watched this one and was surprised at the price. Should I have been, or is that expected these days?

Back in 2008, my old pipe mentor and I were discussing that very question (sort of) back in the day, and he posited the following for comparison, consideration, and discussion:
IMG_1547.jpeg

Reactions: orlandofurioso

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I watched this one and was surprised at the price. Should I have been, or is that expected these days?

All Petersons are of the chart in the past year. Blame us and Mark Irwin, for the surge in brand popularity.

Dec 10, 2013

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
All Petersons are of the chart in the past year. Blame us and Mark Irwin, for the surge in brand popularity.
It's been my impression too that prices have really changed in a year or so............
I guess we've done our part to push the hype, with the constant praise & discussion

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's been my impression too that prices have really changed in a year or so............
I guess we've done our part to push the hype, with the constant praise & discussion
It's a reason why I discuss/share many of the pipes I collect privately among a close group of friends (many are forum members) rather than publicly.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
These Sherlock Holmes meers are a different animal - they don't show up often, and the prices are always astronomical. In my opinion their is nothing structural or design-related about these pipes that warrants what they go for - it's all about rarity and Sherlock Holmes pipe collectors wanting them.

I am regularly selling Petersons on ebay, and I haven't seen any significant increases in price in anything other than the meers. I'm actually losing money on most pipes I bought three years ago, and that's if I throw in the restoration work for free.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
These Sherlock Holmes meers are a different animal - they don't show up often, and the prices are always astronomical. In my opinion their is nothing structural or design-related about these pipes that warrants what they go for - it's all about rarity and Sherlock Holmes pipe collectors wanting them.

I am regularly selling Petersons on ebay, and I haven't seen any significant increases in price in anything other than the meers. I'm actually losing money on most pipes I bought three years ago, and that's if I throw in the restoration work for free.
I'm not an Ebay seller, but I've noticed:
Basic system standard estate pipes, for example, (314's anyone?) are routinely fetching over $100, when not that long ago they were more about the $70 range.
I've never seen this particular SH meer pipe, and expected it to go for a FEW hundred, but $700+ was a real shocker - to me. But I'm being shocked repeatedly lately so I guess I'll become immune to it.
I wasn't buying Petersons 3 years ago, but it's hard to think someone is regularly losing $ with the prices I see...

Reactions: greeneyes

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm not an Ebay seller, but I've noticed:
Basic system standard estate pipes, for example, (314's anyone?) are routinely fetching over $100, when not that long ago they were more about the $70 range.
I've never seen this particular SH meer pipe, and expected it to go for a FEW hundred, but $700+ was a real shocker - to me. But I'm being shocked repeatedly lately so I guess I'll become immune to it.
I wasn't buying Petersons 3 years ago, but it's hard to think someone is regularly losing $ with the prices I see...

If this were the case I'd be selling basic 314's for over $100, and it's not happening. Sure, a nickel-band 1980's 314 might have sold for $60 three years ago, and today a silver band 1950's 314 is going for over $100, but while it looks like the same pipe, it's not the same pipe.

But there's no point in arguing it. I know what I paid for my pipes and I know what they are selling for now, and what I'm paying for similar pipes today. I've been buying/selling collectibles on ebay for 23 years, so not my first rodeo.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
If this were the case I'd be selling basic 314's for over $100, and it's not happening. Sure, a nickel-band 1980's 314 might have sold for $60 three years ago, and today a silver band 1950's 314 is going for over $100, but while it looks like the same pipe, it's not the same pipe.

But there's no point in arguing it. I know what I paid for my pipes and I know what they are selling for now, and what I'm paying for similar pipes today. I've been buying/selling collectibles on ebay for 23 years, so not my first rodeo.
Not trying to argue.
Just my perspective as a repeat Peterson estate pipe buyer.
Weirdly enough, I also perceive that auctions often go higher than "buy now" pipes.
I've no explanation (or facts) for that one either.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Not trying to argue.
Just my perspective as a repeat Peterson estate pipe buyer.
Weirdly enough, I also perceive that auctions often go higher than "buy now" pipes.
If you think Peterson pipes have gone up from $60 - $100 on average, then roll with those numbers. If you would like a basic nickel-band 314 for $100, I'll be glad to sell you one. I've got a pre-1963 with your name on it.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

Shill bidders. Ebay not only tolerates them, but they encourage it. You used to be able to see the bidders handle and trace them back to the seller running the auction. Ebay has hidden that information for years, as shill bidding means more profit for ebay. Some of this forum's favorite sellers are the worst culprits.

• Wow
Reactions: grimpeur and FLDRD