PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Mixture 79 was a favorite of the late Hugh Hefner. Perhaps its aroma attracted all those nubile, young women (or maybe it was simply his money and the 15-minutes of fame he offered). To my nose, however, the only thing that aroma would attract are grandmothers and their moms, for it reeks like an old-lady's perfume!

Reactions: Ryan

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
They seriously must have changed the recipe because when I tried smoking a pouch back when I started pipe smoking in the early 70s, it out Lakeland the Lakeland blends.

I thought about giving it another try as my palate has changed considerably, but I just can't do it.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I like it a lot, but I used to cut it with Mac B's Golden Extra, because the flavoring of Mix 79 was way over the top. It no longer is, in my opinion. I can easily smoke it straight. Ditto for the last years of Middleton's Cherry, Kentucky Club Mixture, and Half&Half, all of which were obnoxiously flavored or scented at one time. The old Bond Street tasted like pure soap to me. It wasn't the scent, actually, but its potency, like wearing too much cologne. Everybody except the smoker used to bitch about it.

But I like it. It has a wonderful bowl aroma, unlike many "superior" blends. I'm buying it by the tub. Wish I'd done the same for the Cherry, KC Mixture, and Walnut. (They used to sell these Anywhere,USA.)

Reactions: Ryan

ThePiedPiper

Lurker
Dec 18, 2023
Good old Mixture 79. If you ever took a sip of soda and thought, "I wish I could smoke this." then this one is for you.

Attachments

• Sutliff - Mixture 79.png
    Sutliff - Mixture 79.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ryan and mingc