PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
36763835111_9c3363f07b_b_d.jpg
I guess it was inevitable. All good things come to an end if you wait long enough. But I really hoped against hope that it wouldn’t happen during my pipe smoking career but alas, my favorite B & M has closed its doors for good. Sadly I can’t say that it was a surprise or I didn’t see it coming.
Since 1891, pipe and cigar aficionados living in the Baltimore metro area were no doubt familiar with the name Fader’s, the oldest pipe and tobacco retailer in the area. The original Fader's was located in downtown Baltimore on Calvert Street. That location closed a good ten years ago, with locations in Towson, Owings Mills, and Catonsville remaining. It was the Catonsville location that I knew best and is the subject of this post.
36763834921_3c8e5bc29a_o_d.jpg

Catonsville Storefront​
I first discovered Fader’s back in the early 70’s when the Catonsville location resided in the long-since defunct Westview Mall. Besides the usual pipes, tobaccos & cigars, they also carried "gifts of distinction for men" as the store frontage announced. It wasn’t a pipe I was after when I first darkened their doorway but a stunning solid hardwood chess board that was on display, the likes of which I could find nowhere else. Pipes had yet to become the all-consuming passion they are for me today but that first introduction to quality briar and particularly Danish freehands on display planted the seed that would later blossom into an obsession.
Being a cigarette smoker for most of my adulthood, it wasn’t until 2001 that I really discovered the joys of the pipe and began frequenting Fader’s earnestly, which had long ago relocated to a strip mall on the corner of Rolling Road and Route 40 West. Over the next 16 years I purchased countless pipes and many pounds of tobacco from this wonderful B & M. But what really attracted me to Fader’s were its staff and clientele, many of whom were dedicated pipe and cigar nuts like myself. Mike, Mark, Bert, Jeff, Don, and Skip (Skip sadly is no longer with us), always made you feel at home with great conversation and laughter. I spent many a Saturday afternoon in their fine company, blissfully enjoying the latest Pease blend or a new K. Hansotia creation.
36763835011_d8aa7ea4d8_c_d.jpg

Fader's Mike (the beardless gent on the right)​
Beginning sometime last year, I noticed their stocks of tinned tobacco becoming less and less, with few if any new pipes on display. By April the situation appeared dire, with many gaps and empty rows among both their tinned tobacco displays and cigar humidor. I feared the end was near, but never voiced my concern to the guys. I guess deep down I didn’t want to know that my favorite haunt was in trouble.
36069212594_d490cd915c_o_d.jpg

Fader's Mark (when he's not behind the mic at WBJC)​
Life had been busy for me these past few months and I had little time to spend away from home and family on my weekends off. I hadn’t visited Fader’s in some time and was running desperately low on pipe cleaners and other supplies. A few weeks ago I planned a Saturday trip to commiserate with the guys and stock up. But as I neared the store I noticed that the Open sign wasn’t lit and the store appeared dark. My heart sank when I read the notice on the door, announcing the store’s permanent closure and thanking its loyal customers for their support over the years. Yep, it finally happened: Fader’s is no more. At least that’s true of the Catonsville location; I’m not sure about the others.
36069212434_115941d02a_c_d.jpg

Fader's Bert (center) During a Camacho Show​
I cannot express how fundamental this B & M, and particularly Mike, Mark, Jeff, and Skip were to my evolution as the dedicated pipe smoker and collector I am today. Thanks so much guys! You passed your collective knowledge on with skill and acumen, never condescending with novices nor snobbish in your pipe recommendations. Fader’s was an oasis where you were free to light up and join in the conversation or simply sit back and smoke in solitude.
36069212574_d3c9128346_c_d.jpg

Pipemaker Luigi Viprati at Fader's​
And that’s the main benefit B & M’s offer. Sure, you can buy pipes, tobacco & cigars cheaper on the internet. But if you value being able to smoke with like-minded folks in a friendly, unhurried atmosphere, a good B & M is a gift from God and needs your patronage and support — now more than ever. Fader’s was a great B & M and one that I will miss profoundly. Godspeed my friends.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A wonderfully written heartfelt tribute. Thank you.
From their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FadersTobacco/

For those of you who are curious as to if the stores are closing, sadly, yes, Catonsville and Owings Mills are closed. The Towson store remains open. This was a business desicion to try and keep the name going. Soon, with any luck, we will be receiving stock soon and hours of operations will be changing as well as policy in the store. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A lovely homage indeed. Glad to learn they still have a store open. Rush over!!
The Briar Patch in Sacramento closed one store a few years ago, but still have two remaining. My new local B+M, in downtown Carmel, has been at its (one) location for some time now.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
What a shame. I have fond memories of going to several Faders stores back in the 60's with my father. When I " grew up" I continued to frequent them.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
@jpmcwjr
Is your reference to the Carmel Pipe Shop? I hope it is still going. I haven't been there for a few years and have been meaning to get back, but Carmel is so overrun by visitors many weekends that I have stayed away.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I did an in-store demo for Standard Tobacco at the Fader's Towson store a while back. Really nice people, both staff and customers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Carmel Pipe Shop is a nice little shop. I haven't been there in a number of years, but it was well stocked when I used to get up that way and stop in.
Bottom line, if you don't support your B&M's they won't be around to support you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Great homage. Sorry to hear that it has gone. But, it is darkest before the break of day. Also before endless night.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That sucks. I knew that they had recently closed the Annapolis location, but I just thought that it was due to the location. I didn't know they were experiencing difficulties at all of the locations.
It is getting harder and harder to find a B&M that sells pipe stuff in Maryland.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Thank you for sharing the part that this B&M played in your journey. It is always sad to see B&M's go out of business; however, it is the sad truth for our current day tobacconist due to the lack of popularity of smoking, the online business, which I am guilty of relying upon far to often, and the newer regulatory climate. I think that I need to get to the local shop this weekend and give them some of my business.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear this classic pipe shop is closing. What great pictures. It is the end of an era. I'm in denial about my local independent shop, which seems to be hanging on, but some day George will decide to retire. Though he clearly doesn't want to. LIkewise, I'm not sure how long Tinder Box can hang on in its always no-smoking mall location. The whole pipe community is a rare breed. These shops are like a lot of family farms that become expensive "hobbies" rather than money-earners. The owners work hard, but the revenue stream just isn't there. Hurrah for those who've done it for years, and for those who can still keep it going.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, this thread just gave my evening a downward turn. The Catonsville shop wasn't on my travel route, but 2-3 times a year, I'd divert and stop by the shop. Bert was there on most of my visits and although brief, we had some nice chats. I usually found an estate or two and Bert always treated me right. On the last visit, earlier this summer, they had Dunhill MM965 bulk at half price ($2/ounce). I bought a 1.5 pounds from the older gentleman that worked here (I can't recall his name) and ordered another two pounds from the downtown shop. I have a couple of pounds of King Eider celler'd, one of their classic English blends. Now, I wish that I had stopped by a few more times over the summer.
Thanks for the update and sharing such great experiences.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It is very sad to see. Until the problems of tobacco taxes and too few smokers are resolved, we will see more of this.
For my part, I try to talk up the advantages of a pipe. It is less addictive, in my view. It is less unhealthy. It is more fun and encourages a better state of mind. And, it gives you cool bits of kit to muck about with, which people love. There's stuff to go shopping for.
The more of the world that I see, the more I realize that Pascal was right:
“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” ― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
But as long as people are this way, we could at least have them shopping for pipes and tins.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” ― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
Never was that more true than it is today in the age of constant distraction.
It seems as though the average person tends to panic in the absence of some continually changing external stimuli directing their attention and thought processes. Being left alone to confront their own consciousness is apparently too disturbing.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
A good story, well told.
The Allegheny Avenue location appears still to be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.