PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, it's the pipe always pictured in the mouthes of snowmen. Some have an active aversion to it for it's lack of design. Who wants such an aesthetically pokey pipe? But looked at another way, it has simplicity going for it. And the sitter feature is just doggone convenient if you do anything else while you are pipe smoking. The design especially accommodates an ample or larger bowl, and its simplicity conveys a sort of folksy ease. I have several pokers: a lovely hand-carved Jerry Perry poker in Mountain Laurel with subtle asymmetry and an extra commodious bowl; a La Rocca with distinctive carved looping rustication; a Parker blast cherrywood shape; and my recently purchased Dagner/MM nose-warmer cob with acrylic stem and nickel band. I enjoy the admirable virtues of the poker. Are you a no-poker person, a reluctant owner, or a fan? I do like the ones I have.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I only have one - it's a Peterson Mark Twain. It's meant to be reminiscent of the cob pipes which feature in his stories. The pipe comes as a pair with a replica of the Peterson pipe frequently smoked by the great man. Mine are done with a rustic finish (as in the picture).
I rather enjoy the Twain poker. It's fairly large but it fits nicely in the hand. It's actually the pipe in my avatar.
Mike

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The Poker/ Cherrywood/ Friendly family are not my favorite shape but I have these three very rare and unique pipes in the collection that I shared in this thread. I am efforting number four for this collection and hope to have it soon! 8O

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-castello-pipes-here

img_0010.jpg

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I own a couple of pokers, and, while not my favorite shape, I fancy the few that I own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd forgotten Peterson made that briar poker with cob rustication. And those Castellos are spiffy for sure.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I was never attracted to the poker until I bought the Moonshine poker (middle pipe) that turned out to be an outstanding smoker and convenient little pipe I fell in love with. The Teipen (right), I don't smoke much, but I couldn't resist the whimsy and artistry of the pipe. And the Tim Thorpe pipe looks like a ole tree stump and as I was raised in Mississippi, I may as well live up to all the clichés. MSO, I think you're right about the folksiness of the poker as the Moonshine and Thorpe "stump" tend to be among my everyday "utility" pipes-- the sitter feature is an added bonus. Yeah, the Teipen stem is oxidized... :oops:
img_20170620_143553890-600x337.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have never loved or hated the poker shape, but the very first pipe I bought in 1982 was a poker, a Savinelli second. I thought it was different from any of the other shapes I saw. I've only had a few more since then and currently still have that one as well as a Dunhill, GBD and meer lined Tinderbox. So far those four fill my poker needs. :)

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
The poker is one of my all-time, least-favorite shapes. Seems like the inventor of the shape chopped off a branch, hollowed it out, then pulled through a stem. On the other hand, they sit politely, so that's a star in their favor!

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
"I love Pokers, working mans pipe ..."
I think the Old Cajun has it right: while there is a place for classic shapes (I prefer Billiard myself) or even whimsical shapes, there is something unpretentious and just plain "honest" about a poker.
Mike

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Pokers are great...you can set 'em down most anywhere. There is an almost endless amount of variety to the shape, too!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't own a poker, but, Mike, would love to have a Pete MT poker. Closest I own is a straight magnum barrel pipe which I really like. Now my current favorite shape in my herd is Peterson's take on the cherrywood, which I have in the Kinsale line.

Status
Not open for further replies.