PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Namiki-Maki-E-Rakucho-Limited-Edition-Tobacco-Pipe-Kyusai-Yoshida/222180802303?hash=item33bb01feff:g:kt0AAOSwgY9Xf~rB
An laquered Dunhill pipe for 35K. Has to be some kind of record! Reading details in the post it's even damaged
You can also buy from the same seller a diamond encrusted fountain pen for 755k

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
While your at it, you can pick up this combo tin for $630 current bid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-TWIN-PACK-Balkan-Sobranie-No759-2-x-50-grams-Unopened-Sealed-Tobacco-Tin/273055142316?hash=item3f935ad1ac:g:Vt0AAOSwz7Nadep1

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or this for $7500- A gorgeous Costello and an SI DuPont lighter.
s-l1600.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Surprised this one wasn't mentioned.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhills-probably-last-luxurious-tobacco-pipe-project

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If I won the Powerball, I'd quickly start a Dunhill Pipe Tobacco USA, Inc. and buy the rights to these quality blends.
Royal Yacht in every store, and giant billboards that said, "Pipes -- Not Just For Hipsters Anymore!" with a photo of a pipe-smoking giant grinding a MacBook into dust under his jackbooted heel.

If I were F-You rich, not just everyday millionaire rich, I would just pay the FDA fees to keep all of the current blends on the shelves. And, each new blend that Russ and Greg wants to come up with in the future. Maybe I could just adopt Greg and Russ, and have them design new blends for me every day.
I'd smoke Dunhills on my golden toilet and then crush them under the heal of my boot when I finish, just to hear the crunch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A painting by a reputable painter might bring this price. Maybe this fits that category.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Winning big lotteries generally screws up the lives of winners. You have to deeply want to spend your life intensely managing money. Instead of a permanent vacation, you get a career that requires five times the work you've ever done. So of course, people pee it away, get cheated by friends and family, and end up broke in a substance abuse clinic. Some do fine, take on the new job, and behave themselves, but sadly, they are the lucky 20% (or something like that). It's not just the winners who don't understand, but their family and friends and community, who all would like to benefit. P.S. I bid $20. No I don't.

Very correct MSO, there was a special on lottery winners, and only about 5% of winners end up with something close happiness. It's not just the hard work of managing money, but the psychology of it. We have this consumer need to spend to fill a hole inside of our psyche that comes from a lack of spiritual purpose. We shop, spend, and trade to fill this imaginary need. We feel like if we had all of the means to fill this need, that we would be happy, but in fact it makes us crazy. The show explored all of these people who were doing crazy things with their life after the lottery and how it ruined their lives.

I wouldn't wish the lottery on anyone.

Even the ones who managed to come close to being happy, looked to be in desperate need of something else.
Inheritance also does this to people. My first roommate in college had a granddad who owned a private bank in town. He prepped all through college for being wealthy. Business classes, etc... and, when his granddad died, the wealth drove him crazy, and all of his siblings and cousins. They all now live in their own trailer park created on their deceased granddad's land, with trashed Mercedes and Jags rusting away. They've busted a meth lab on the property last I heard.
This is not an uncommon story. I have met very, very few wealthy people who seemed to have true joy in their hearts.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For sure, money doesn't buy happiness. It can buy some pleasures, but not happiness. Happiness is an inside job. The people I've met whose goal in life was the pursuit of money are not happy, just driven. And the wealthy people I've met who were happy in their lives have said that the money wasn't the source of their happiness, but a side product of pursuing lives that they enjoyed. Their happiness is unrelated to their wealth. It's in their character and outlook on life.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I ran across that pipe a while ago and just laughed at how messed up it was. Oxidized stem, cracked display box. He says it like it is no big deal. I have seen another one of those pipes listed for half that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.