PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I kinda like the rugged quality of the Zippo flints, the way they sometimes catch on the wheel and stop it from moving, from being so uneven, like every 4th light...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Eric, lol.
Teddy, if you figured out the cost of replacing all those Bics over the years, I would be willing to bet a good lighter is less expensive. Besides, accessorizing is way more fun.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the post Harris. I've had terrible luck with zippo flints - good to know there are alternatives.
FWIW I've been using my colibri which needs no flint (piezoelectric) and have been very pleased with it so far.
And no white glove video showing the flints either!
I kinda like the rugged quality of the Zippo flints, the way they sometimes catch on the wheel and stop it from moving, from being so uneven, like every 4th light...
lol!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Leave it to Harris to do an exhaustive study on flints :). In all seriousness, thanks for telling us
If I didn't have so many flint packs already I'd check into the corona

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Thanks for the research Harris! Dang, I have a pack of Zippo flints I'm going to have to use. Oh well, I guess I'll appreciate their rugged quality too...

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I can't comment on the quality of IM Corona flints because I've never used them, but I've never had issues with either Ronson or Zippo flints in any of my lighters throughout the years. I flick the wheel, sparks come out, fuel ignites. Is there something more to the experience that I'm missing? I guess I'll have to try a pack a Corona flints to see what I must have been missing all these years.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
so no flaming me here (no pun intended) but are they are to replace? All of my lighters are fairly new so I havent had to replace any thing on any of them yet. In fact, I don't even have any replacement flints for my Zips or Old Boy style lighters. Unfortunately, I am such a goober when it comes to doing anything with my hands. I guess God made me a computer nerd instead.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Good to know, thanks Harris.
I have a butane Blazer pipe lighter that I go to and have had problems in finding a good replacement flint.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Don't know if you are all aware of this, but BIC lighters have a lot more flint than they need. If you know other people who use them you can collect the empties, pop off the top and get the extra flint. They are actually good quality, haven't bought any in years..

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I reuse the flints out of my brother's bics as well. They last a lot longer than zippo brand and don't wear as unevenly as the cheapo zippo flints. Zippo flints used to be fine but the quality is pretty poor these days. I'm sure it's purpose is to boost the sale of consumables. Like printers, they practically give the unit away and then rake you over the coals on the refill cartridges.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks. I thought I was alone with my flint disabilities. I'm glad to know it wasn't me but the flints all along.

Dec 24, 2012
I got sucked into reading this whole thing and found out I don't care.
This sums up my reaction to most of Harris's threads. Try to find the one on his beloved pipe cleaners - it is a real barn burner . . . . . .

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Dam Thanks for letting us know.I have two zippos that are new and haven't bought any replacement flints yet.glad you told me.Going to order some IM corona flints now.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
This sums up my reaction to most of Harris's threads. Try to find the one on his beloved pipe cleaners - it is a real barn burner . . . . . .
Peck
I forgot about that one and that I got sucked into it. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.