PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Was there truth to the old saw that Scotland Yard said to always strike the pipe smokers from the list of possible perps, since they were so trustworthy and honorable?
hp

les

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
mso489 said:

Shirley Jones ... said in a recent interview

that she could have never been married to

a man who wanted his "pipe and slippers."
I don't translate her remark as suggesting that pipe smokers are a stogy bunch at all ... to my way of thinking, she's saying that she could not have been married to a man who expected his wife to fetch and carry ...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
To me a pipe smoker is someone that enjoys tobacco, the work of a craftsman, they can appreciate the ritual, enjoy solitude and/or the companionship of other pipe smokers, they are thoughtful and giving and don't mind sharing tobacco with others, and will take a few moments to help another person as they start their journey into the hobby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as a kind of footnote, Shirley Jones in this interview with Diane Ream, went on to suggest that

her two marriages were to men who were/are kind of crazy, and she means this in a way that

indicates that appeals to her. I'm not sure she meant that a more sedate husband would expect

her to bring him his pipe and slippers; I took it as meaning that was her thumbnail view of a more

dependable and domestic man. In the case of the first hubby, it sounds as if he might have been

better off pipe smoking because an accident dropping a cigarette into a couch cost him his life.

No joke there.

Status
Not open for further replies.