PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
As I was somking my MM Country Gent the other night for only the second time since getting it, I started noticing this really nasty taste that I knew wasn't the tobacco. And I remember tasting that just a bit the first time I smoked that pipe. I really didn't like it. So as I was doing my normal after smoke cleaning, I got a flash light an looked down into the bowl and noticed glue at the base of the steam.
Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so, how did you get the glue out of it? I tried picking at it, but it hard as a rock and not budging. I really like the look and feel of the pipe so I don't want to get rid of it, but I really don't want to be smoking glue either, ya know, cause of the health reasons and all.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I had to smoke all my cobs about 5-10 times for the nastiness to abate. If there is a glob of glue perhaps it could be removed with a hard metal pick of some sort. Maybe a nail would even do the trick.
As long as you don't inhale I doubt a little wood glue smoke is going to hurt you. Smoke the pipe about 5 times and it will no longer taste like a 2X4.
I fire cured all my cobs with PA. It burns pretty hot. Don't be afraid of the shank either. You have to smoke the majority of that out of the cob as well.
I also coat the bottoms of some cobs with pipe mud depending on how high the shank is from the bottom of the bowl.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Yeah, it definatly isn't a wood taste. I have 2 other cobs and they don't taste like this. It's definatly a 'synthetic' taste. I tried using the pick on my pipe tool but this glue is as hard as a rock.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Cobs are the only pipes I expect to taste terrible in the beginning. Surprisingly once broken in they are very rewarding smokes

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Hmmmmmm..... There is a cob guy around here that should be able to chime in. Hope you get this resolved. Rubbing alcohol might dissolve the glue, but then it would likely soak into the cob.
In craftsman screw driver sets you get these metal picks with handles. I would try using one of those. Dental tools would work too. Harder to come by though.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
everybody should have a dental pick in their toolbox. great as a scribe, and for picking away a little stuff.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Perhaps you might try the Mark Twain method. Let someone else smoke if for a fortnight! :puffy:

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Had the same issue with my Diplomat. The glue was gone after the first smoke or so, but yeah it was a little nasty at the bottom, and I could taste it.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Call they wiil send you a new one asap. Its a type of vegetable glue they say it wont hurt you but who wants to smoke a crappy pipe.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The glue isn't toxic, and will burn away after several pipefuls. It's used to assemble the pipes, since obviously the bowl and shank are separate pieces.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
everybody should have a dental pick in their toolbox. great as a scribe, and for picking away a little stuff.
Agreed. Also great for restoring pipes; they can get into all the little crannies around the button.
It still eludes me why people smoke these things.
Because they are light, cheap, and offer a great smoke once the glue/shank has been broken in - which, I will add, is still a quicker process than getting the nastiness out of one of the dipped Petes. I know when I'm out digging in the yard, fishing, or slogging through the back-country in search of venison, I'm not going to reach for something high-grade, or even something low-grade like a Grabow, but a trusty cob. They take the abuse, and come back for more.

In addition, I find that every time I pull out a pipe at a social gathering, it is inevitable that someone will want to give it a try. It is also inevitable that said person will be intoxicated. Rather than offer up a decent piece of briar for them to char to oblivion and smoke like a chimney, enter the cob.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
It still eludes me why people smoke these things.
Actually once broken in they provide a very cool dry smoke. Also, with the addition of a "forever stem", they make it into the regular rotation because they smoke so well.
I want to try more versions like a freehand and a general but have not got around to it yet.
My main gripe about cobs is many of them come with the shank 1/4 inch too high, and the bottom of the pipe has to be filled with pipe mud.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Of the three cobs I own, none of them took more than 3 smokes to be rid of the nasty bottom-of-the-bowl taste. I don't inhale so im not terribly concerned about the glue. And if its true that its vegetable based, I certainly don't mind. Cobs are easy going, tough, and my designated knock-around pipes. Enjoy! 8)

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
a trusty cob. They take the abuse, and come back for more.
I'll second that! It is really handy in situations that I don't want to bring a briar into. My cob is really starting to break in nicely. I am amazed at how the progression of smokes has turned out since I bought it a few months back.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
I have 2 other cobs and I love them both(actually getting ready to smoke one now), they don't have this issue. I'll tough it out through a few more bowls to see if it cures itself and if not.....then I guess I'll just have to buy another pipe to replace it. And I think I'll give that hot needle trick a try, jchaplick.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Yeah, if im thinking of the same thing, it looks like a hot glue dollop but is super hot? if thats what it looked like, i used a torch lighter to heat a needle, it took a while, but i ended up getting it out.
Personally i never had a bad taste from but, like you said, i didnt like the idea of smoking glue

Status
Not open for further replies.