PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I got a new pipe tool which turned out to have a squared tamper instead of a circular one. I don't find it very practical, what do you think? If you had one, would you grind it? I think I'll go for that. It was a cheap one anyway.
The tamper surface is just a little bigger than the one a classic Czech tool has. I noticed it gets quite dirty after tamping which has never been an issue for the Czech tool, maybe because it doesn't have any carbon layer yet? Maybe the ashes and burnt tobacco pieces won't stick as much after it gets some "cake".
20240228_205418.jpg20240228_205527.jpg

Reactions: kcghost and seanv

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It wouldn't present a problem for me unless the circumference was too much for the chamber... but that certainly doesn't look to be the case. So I'd have no problem with it.

And I've got a lighter with one of those "dull blades" (as stated above), and the serrations are enough to do the job without any chamber damage.

Overall it looks like it'd perform just fine for me.

Reactions: luigi

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I would definitely round the corners off if it was mine. I don't care for pipe tampers that are not round. The only exception to that for me is the Gerber pipe tool which is rectangular with rounded corners. The only reason I find the tamper useful is that covers more area than most round tampers I have. The knife blade in it has a nicely rounded tip but a good sharp cutting edge and the pick design is very useful also.

Reactions: MattRVA and luigi

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This big pipe knifes never worked for me, it's more the large size vs square shape.

I use the simple Brebbia tamper, cheap to lose.
It is square and works fine. If I could change it, I'd make at least the shaft round, so it can be twirled over the bowl.

Brebbia_Tamper.JPG

Reactions: Old Smokey
I often see people mention concave... did anyone else make tampers with a concave surface before I started doing that? I started making mine with a concave tamp because I really liked how a golf tee worked, but I had not seen one made to be a tamp that had that kind of surface. Just wondering if I started a "thing" or not. Really, I am curious.

kbussell

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Highlands Ranch, CO
I often see people mention concave... did anyone else make tampers with a concave surface before I started doing that? I started making mine with a concave tamp because I really liked how a golf tee worked, but I had not seen one made to be a tamp that had that kind of surface. Just wondering if I started a "thing" or not. Really, I am curious.
I have seen others use a golf tee as a tamper, but I never thought of the concave surface... I will have to try that out!

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
...just buy an 8 Deco tamper for 10 bucks. It has holes in it so your ember can breath while you are tamping/moving air through your bowl which keeps your tobacco alive.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I figured it out. Rotating it so the edges reach all the surface works fine. A square is probably not the best invention for round pipes but it's manageable.
Recently I've discovered there are also oval pipe chambers. For example Savinelli Ovalina. An oval tamper would probably fit but an oval reamer not so much.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I got a new pipe tool which turned out to have a squared tamper instead of a circular one. I don't find it very practical, what do you think? If you had one, would you grind it? I think I'll go for that. It was a cheap one anyway.
The tamper surface is just a little bigger than the one a classic Czech tool has. I noticed it gets quite dirty after tamping which has never been an issue for the Czech tool, maybe because it doesn't have any carbon layer yet? Maybe the ashes and burnt tobacco pieces won't stick as much after it gets some "cake".
View attachment 292157View attachment 292158
I have the exact tamper. The square foot insures it spends it's time in the drawer.