PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
That's an interesting concept. If you have more than 7 pipes your a collector, even if one in denial. Hard to debate the logic. So it would seem to make us all collectors, or most of us anyway. It's only the reasons we collect that are different. Some for the smoking pleasure, some for the craftsmanship and beauty and some for the historical significance, to name but a few. But I suspect most of us have a foot in more than one camp. I know I do. A hobby only need to please me for reasons I find it to be a pleasure. Those reasons do not need to mirror the reasons of others. Nor is it wrong to want it to be that. The only thing that is truly wrong is being intolerant of the perspectives of others. Each is right for his or her own reasons. Considering views that differ from your own always lets you leave with a better picture than you arrived with. With something as subjective as collecting anything there isn't a right way, only a way that makes it a pleasure for the individual.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I NEED ALL THESE PIPES! Do not question my thinly veiled justifications and force me to evaluate my world view. Pipe makers must feed their children too. :wink: :puffpipe:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
They certainly do. Sorry for the oversight daimyo. I should have included that in the reasons, some collect for altruistic reasons - to feed the hungry. Even my wife would find it hard to argue with that. You can count on me filing that one away for future use!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush, I'd give a little more leeway and say twenty is a reasonable rotation of pipes, to give each a thorough rest and ease up the wear. However, since I have about three score and ten smokeable pipes in rotation, plus a few I keep for show -- clay pipe, a Haitian homemade pipe, and a few other oddities, I'll admit I like the pipe shop effect where I go to select a pipe and have an array of them to select from. Rational? Huh! Nuts, more likely. But I do enjoy them. I hope I won't accumulate too many more, or not without culling to trade up a little. But I have more pipes than anyone needs. It's a fanciful, impulsive, emotional, and kid-like compulsion. Two purchases a year would be about right, if I could ever attain it. Part of the enjoyment is jabbering about them and the tobaccos online, on Forums. Happy piping.

Aug 14, 2012
I have to disagree with Sable. I need more than a few pipes. I can't stand the taste of a soggy smoke. I feel the inside of the bowl before smoking to see if it is dry enough. Dry enough for me takes at least 7 days or more . So, number of pipes smoked per day X 7 = minimum required.

Status
Not open for further replies.