PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Hey, everyone! I’ve searched the forum for a bit and didn’t find a thread for this exact item, but if this a duplicate and I missed an older thread, I do apologize.

I am trying to locate 2 very small screws used on the Old Boy lighter. Namely, the very small Phillips on the base, and the very small Phillips located on the “spring” (near the flint screw). I got a killer deal on a couple of Sillems 925 Sterling Old Boy lighters from my favorite B&M and was breaking them down for a thorough cleaning; they were very tarnished.

Of course, those screws are soft and I totally stripped them out on the reinstall. 100% my fault. Lesson learned and I did not repeat the mistake on the second. While I got the stripped ones tightened, they look terrible in comparison, and future removal will be a task in-and-of itself.

I reached out to Arango Cigars (a name I picked up here from a different IM Corona thread) to see if they’d sell me a screw or two, but have not heard back. I know they don’t sell to consumers, not sure if they’ll be flexible for this case. Do any of you know of any other sources? Or, know the pitch and size of the screws to get replacements elsewhere? I know it’s a tall ask, so thank you in advance for all the help!

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
I bought some screws & springs for my old boy from ‘Estervals Pipe House’ in Germany.
Thank you! They have one of the two I need. At least it’s the one on the top; not like I’m looking at the bottom anyway!

How was the shipping?

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Did You get them from Jon’s in Clayton? I think Gerard has part for them at least he did before they moved the shop.
I sure did! I’ll reach out to Gerard on Monday when the shop is open and see what he says before ordering them from the other suggestion! Keep it local, if I can. Thank you!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
One thing to bear in mind, since they are made in Japan, those screws might not be philips heads but rather, JIS (Japanese industry standard). They're very similar, but a philips driver will absolutely cam out and strip a JIS screw head in no time. You can use a JIS driver in a philips, but you can't use a philips in a JIS.

Reactions: Bdtroch

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
One thing to bear in mind, since they are made in Japan, those screws might not be philips heads but rather, JIS (Japanese industry standard). They're very similar, but a philips driver will absolutely cam out and strip a JIS screw head in no time. You can use a JIS driver in a philips, but you can't use a philips in a JIS.
That never even dawned on me. Great thinking! I have a few JIS drivers around the house, I’ll test them out when I get my replacement screws. Thank you!

Reactions: sardonicus87

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Thank you for the recommendation! Not the exact screw I’m looking for, but if I need a pusher, I now know the place!

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I didn't look at the total price of the parts and shipping, so I don't know if this saves you anything or not, but IM Corona offers lifetime service on the old boy. If you Google im corona old boy repair form (I think it's somewhere on the arango site), and send that in with your lighter and a check for $35, you'll get your lighter back in about 6 weeks with all issues addressed. Mine was getting finicky and unreliable, and earlier this year I sent it in for repairs. Came back better than new. They even ended up replacing some parts that were worn but not part of the problem (including the flint screw and spring) . Should have done it sooner. Before I sent it in, it had become something I avoided using because of all the issues. Now it's rock solid and the one I reach for the most.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Oh thought you meant the pusher screw on the spring (well spring on it)

" very small Phillips located on the “spring” (near the flint screw)."
Oh! No, the tiny screw that lies on top of the hinge spring. The sort-of bent metal that keeps the lid closed. To the left of the flint screw if looking from the rear.

I didn’t know the name of that screw, so I apologize for the confusion!