If You Were Going To Purchase A New Bulldog?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
10 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Some really beautiful Bulldogs makes me question if I made the correct decision. I bought the Stanwell 191, should arrive midweek. It was between the Stanwell and that Baki.
Thanks for all the input. :D

pipesmoker66

Lurker
Aug 11, 2014
Don't know much about them but I think Rattray's "Bulls & Dogs" pipes are some of the nicest I have seen. Also love the Peterson straight bulldog as well.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I really like Rinaldo bent bulldogs. Rinaldo a pipe equal to Ser Jacopo and Castello, and they can really execute a sharp bent bulldog, and do so with some frequency. The one I have smokes like a dream and balances great.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Easy to answer, since I just bought this Ferndown and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. Like you, I've been acquiring briars for a long time, but had never acquired a decent quality bulldog. I recently browsed SP's estates on a lark, and this one just spoke to me. It's a bit out of your price range new, but as a 3* it's also quite large (0.90 chamber, 6.5"). So if you like the style, you might find a more reasonably sized 2* within your budget.
Bulldogs seem particularly interesting for this kind of question. Unlike most other shapes, they're defined primarily by a single feature (the bead) rather than a traditional set of proportions. With almost any other shape, I think you'd get a much more similar spread of examples than the wide variety of bulldogs everyone posted here. I've always admired the more fluid and graceful interpretations, and I think the Ferndown nails that. But I can see how others might prefer the flattened or extra-stout varieties instead.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have never been a big bulldog lover but Michael Lindner's changed my mind as did Scottie Piersel's and Chris Askwith's version in Morta.
8639586991_0410f06f87_z.jpg

14084210795_c8b282c621_z.jpg

8724046728_80301568de_z.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Tinsky of American Pipe Co. IMO no American carver does a bulldog quite like he does and at your

Status
Not open for further replies.