PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I guess, I'm just not a Burley guy as most of the ones mentioned don't do much for me. I smoke Old Joe Krantz for the nicotine, not the flavor. I do enjoy Wessex Burly Slice and Solani Aged Burley Flake but those are the only two that taste unique as a leaf rather than just the cigarette-like smoke I get from the C&D Burley blends. Maybe one day I'll come around...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
And no one speaking up for Five Brothers? Great on its own, divine with Royal Yacht or Hal O' The Wynd!

Just curious as how you go about mixing the Five Brothers? The cut makes it somewhat odd to get a good even mix.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Just curious as how you go about mixing the Five Brothers? The cut makes it somewhat odd to get a good even mix."
Mixing...Place all ingredients in pint jar, or some other lidded container, and shake well...it ain't rocket science.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
ixing...Place all ingredients in pint jar, or some other lidded container, and shake well...it ain't rocket science.

Oh, is that how ya do it? Wow! So good to know its not rocket science... I was getting nervous. If that's how you're mixing Five Brothers than you're wasting your time, you're not going to get a good, even mix like that, the cuts are way too different. I would, at least chop the 5 Bros with some scissors first or put both said blends in a food processor. I do regret asking the question though, shouldn't have even bothered.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@hawky454
Just curious as how you go about mixing the Five Brothers? The cut makes it somewhat odd to get a good even mix.
My answer: dump the whole packet in a large bowl, then carefully pull apart the different threads. About a third of the container will be shake, and you can rip up the remainder so it is smaller, at which point it should mix well with the Royal Yacht which gets tangled in the strings.
If you do a pinch and a pinch, it's the same technique, just on a flat clean surface. Just pull it apart a little and fold the RY into the mesh.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm definitely on the Virginia side of the fence, but I love Classic Burley Kake and really want to try a good cube cut burley mixture. I also want to try C&D Gentleman Caller to see what deer tongue is all about

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Oh Yeah deathmetal, I smoke atleast 2 pouchs a week. And Black Frigate. Those 2 are my main stables.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
You guys are tobacco studs!
That much nic would flatten me. Yeah, I'm a nic wuss. I haven't always been a nic nanny. Back in the day, I could smoke about anything that came in a leaf.
Then I took off for about two decades for some reason or other. When I started back roughly a decade ago, I could not handle the heavier nicotine blends.
I thought I could, until I walked into SG's 1792 Flake. It was like a punch from Ali or Joe Frazier!
Now, I love burley and smoke my share of PA. I like Wilke's Nut Brown Burley Hunter mentioned. But, Royal Yacht, Five Bros, OJK, and the like are just too much for this geezer.
So, my hat is off to you studs. I wish I could take on the heavier burleys. Smoke on, boys. I'll be over in the corner with the nic nannies.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I didn't care much for burley initially, but the more I smoked blends with high burley content, the more I came to appreciate them. Their flavor is really subtle and light sometimes, but I find them really satisfying. Lately, I have been smoking a lot of Solani ABF and H&H Burley Kake. Both very pleasing to me.
Old Joe Krantz is great. I find that it really demonstrates the chameleon like flavor of perique. In VaPers, it's more of a dried fruit. In OJK, it's sour and musty and spicy. And for whatever reason, OJK's nicotine kicks me more than other high-strength blends like GH&C Dark Flake or Brown Twist. As a cigarette smoker, that's a good thing for my high nic tolerance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mixing Five Brothers, I'd rather massage it into the other tobacco, since it is very dry and a little stringy, to get the string woven into the other leaf, whatever it is. The shaking method seems to work better with loose tobaccos that are broken up fairly small. Stir don't shake, is my admonition with Five Bro's.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
If War Horse counts as at least a hearty burley-forward blend(it does to my tastes anyway), I find it one of my two burley vehicles of choice. The other would be Solani Aged Burley Flake... both magnificent bakkies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.