PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
use to be a hunter and all of my rifles only ever had target quality taylored loaded ammunition. never bought factory, just loaded my own. still have all my reloading gear. sold all the rifles. still have a couple burris' yet.
anyway, first would seat a bullet into empty rifle casing and seat a nutralized primer. i would do this to make master empty cartridges and cases. should make a neat tamper. i will make one with a 338 winchester magnum or just use one of the masters.
other idea is taking a chess piece, bishop king queen,etc..

take a cartridge casing with defused primer. now here comes the work part. cut the rim off, end with primer.

clean up the and flatten with a small mill bastard file. drill a small hole through primer and then shallow hole into base of chess piece. use a small brass cabinet screw and youre all done.
now if i just had my corn media tumbler (ex has it damit) would try that with my pipes, stems seperated ofcourse.

did such a nice job polishing up the brass i'd have to wear sunglasses 8)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
first would seat a bullet into empty rifle casing and seat a nutralized primer. i would do this to make master empty cartridges and cases. should make a neat tamper. i will make one with a 338 winchester magnum or just use one of the masters.
You're right it would make a distinctive tamper...

However; I would make sure that it was distinctive enough to be impossible to confuse it with "live" ammo.

e.g. put a key ring through it.
You wouldn't want to be added to this years "Darwin Award" winners.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
What the hell make it look real. :lol:

dscf0529-600x450.jpg

dscf0528-600x450.jpg

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I go into the hardware department and look for a big nail or screw with a big head on it that can be used, I've also gotten cabnit knobs (round onesO and a old pipe stem, put them together with some super crazy glue...it looks ugly...but it's nice and heavy and works

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
this makes a heavy tamper. 225 or 250 gr hornady sp..

add some sand in casing for sound effect and scare some one that sees and hears :lol:

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
When I was little my dad used to keep his plane at a old ww2 airfield called Spanhoe here in England, where B-17s used to fly from. In an old overgrown bunker there I found some used .303 shells from Enfield rifles. I've still got them and figured one might make a good historical tamper with some work.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
if your wanting to use one of those old 303 cartridges they will still be hot, so be very carefull.

cover the cartridge with a rage. use pliers, one on the bullet and one on the casing do not squeese to hard or will mar up the bullet of crush the casing. give a little back and forth twist to loosen and just carefully and slowly work the bullet out.

dump the powder down the toilet. the primer will still be alive. fill the casing with some PENETRATING oil and let stand for a about a week. this will nutralize the primer.

dump out the oil. sit the bullet on top put either soft wood or rag with a tweleve poing 1/4 socket, gently tap it in place and youre good to go

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i go through alot of those cheap foam brushes putting polyurethane on paintings. when i get a bag of a dozen i pull all the heads out of the handles (hardwood dowels with a small hole drilled in the top). one handle is used for the brushes and all the others become tampers. put a sanding wheel on the dremel shape out a spoon knife edge top, usually some texture onto it, and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.