PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Working on a couple designs here and was hoping I could prevail upon some of you to post either pictures or descriptions of what you consider a perfect tamper. Honestly, I'm still trying figure out if it really matters but I do kind of feel that like something, maybe a little wider than the generic aluminum pipe nail or the Czech tool, would be better. Especially if you're into a wider bowl. Maybe something like a railroad date nail, of which I have a few. And is weight a factor? Does a good tamper have some heft? Anyway, if anyone feels like chiming in, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.

Reactions: PaulRVA

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the best one in my opinion is the 8 deco domed, ridged, and vented design. The dome is great for pulling the edges down, the ridges are great for flakes when the ash forms in an oddly solid way or to help spread the ash and tobacco evenly with a little twist, and the vents are great because you can keep drawing when you need to tamp and forgot to draw on the pipe for a while. Sadly lost it. Just fell out of my pocket.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several good pipe tools like the Czech and stainless steel folding tools and a handsome tamper with a swirl plastic handle, not to mention a willow wood tamper, and I enjoy them all from time to time in different situations or just arbitrarily. But to tell the truth, the one I reach for routinely is a simple pipe nail.

Most days it does everything I want, and if I need a pick, the scoop suffices, and the tamper is just right. More handsome or unique pipe tools are aesthetically pleasing, but I don't want to lose them.

I do not think it is possible to lose a pipe nail, since they cost only a buck and change. I joke they carry cab fare in case they get left behind, so they can ride back home. I only have to remember which pocket they're in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Brebbia stainless steel tool with tamper, pick, and scoop, light weight and well made. I have a similar Dr. Grabow tool that is almost as good. I like the slight gadgetry aspect of them.

Reactions: obc83 and Coreios
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I use this one and I like it a lot. It has a little weigh to it and I like the look of it. I’m not sure who made it but I bought it at Boswells and it’s my favorite now. Pipe nails are nice too but I like having some options like a pick. View attachment 245931
I have the same pipe shaped tamper, which is my "go-to". I wonder how many people have the same one.

It was initially bought as a travel tamper (since I think it looks gaudy), with a similar redwood tool (straight, not pipe shaped) as my main tamper at home. The pipe one has a bigger tamp and edged out the straight tool for the number one seed.

I also picked up a cheap Rodgers tool (below), based on the rave reviews here. It is just starting to get used and the jury is still out, although I like the knife/reamer better on the Rodgers.

20230902_234550.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The perfect tamper would be at least six inches long and have a large tamping surface with sharp edges. I’d like it solid with nothing to pick up ash and a slight angle. I have a big bent bamboo Radice tamper that’s almost perfect. The Icon tamper comes very close but the surface is a little to small and it rolls. Oh yeah and I want just out of round so it doesn’t roll.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have the same pipe shaped tamper, which is my "go-to". I wonder how many people have the same one.

It was initially bought as a travel tamper (since I think it looks gaudy), with a similar redwood tool (straight, not pipe shaped) as my main tamper at home. The pipe one has a bigger tamp and edged out the straight tool for the number one seed.

I also picked up a cheap Rodgers tool (below), based on the rave reviews here. It is just starting to get used and the jury is still out, although I like the knife/reamer better on the Rodgers.

View attachment 245938
I like the Rodgers tools except for the tiny tamper, and I smoke pipes with small chambers.

VA_Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2022
Wisconsin
the best one in my opinion is the 8 deco domed, ridged, and vented design. The dome is great for pulling the edges down, the ridges are great for flakes when the ash forms in an oddly solid way or to help spread the ash and tobacco evenly with a little twist, and the vents are great because you can keep drawing when you need to tamp and forgot to draw on the pipe for a while. Sadly lost it. Just fell out of my pocket.
Agree with this. I have a bunch of different styles but reach for one of these most of the time. I also like some weight in my tampers.20230825_145446.jpg