Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
my old lungs really choke up I guess I can't handle the slightest whiff of smoke. But, I'll still hang around just to see your pipes and read your stories.
Bummer ☹️

But please feel welcome to join in and contribute.

I hope you find some of the suggestions helpful in overcoming your problem

We have members who smoke occasionally to those who have a pipe in their mouth from b’fast until bedtime.
Member @Flatfish is a NON-smoker but is still very active on the Forums

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Sounds almost like an alergy. Occasionally when air quality is bad I have that problem. We have wood burners on my street and if there is no breeze smoke settles in my yard and that plus smoking messes with my lungs in the evening. Half a certizine and 20 minutes clears it up. I also use filters but I dont think they lessen irritation...smoke is smoke to some degree. ..its an irritant.

VDL (above post) has a point. Some folks are sensitive to certain types of tobacco due to the curing process. I think I get a little more irritation from heavy lat blends but Im not sure of that. Its hard to nail down.

All that said I AM NOT a doctor so take it with a grain of salt. If that worked at least maybe you could sneak an occasional smoke. I imgine no one wants to take meds regularly so they can smoke a pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheels and PaulRVA

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I really do. Reading the posts here and seeing the beautiful pipes makes me jealous. But, even though I'm super careful not to inhale and puff lightly, my old lungs really choke up in the evening. I guess I can't handle the slightest whiff of smoke. But, I'll still hang around just to see your pipes and read your stories.
Don't be discouraged- lots of posters here don't smoke at all, of very rarely. As @seanv said, there are many ways to enjoy the forum.

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
@Wheels do you mind me asking what you have been smoking, might give us a little insight and maybe, just maybe the crew here can guide you a little. If not, please join in the discussions as others have said, lots of other topics beyond smoking and participation is the key. Lots of tom foolery here too which will be sure to give you a chuckle.
It's a mild cavendish that's been in a baggy for many years. That's what I used to like. I tried both moistening it and drying it.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I was thinking about trying one of the codger brands, maybe a plain burley.
I thought I had COPD a few months ago. Wheezing and coughing while trying to go to sleep, etc. I thought I might either see a doctor about it, or stop smoking while reading in bed in a supine position propped up with pillows, a favorite pastime of mine for decades. Screw the fire hazard. (Don't judge me.)

I quit the smoking in the bedroom, before I became a smoked ham. The air was rather dense with pipe smoke, I must admit. Worked great, assuming the post hoc fallacy wasn't at play. Symptoms went away. Whether this anecdote has any bearing on your situation, I don't know.

The codger blends just might work. I find Amphora Full Aromatic, or SWRA to be quite mild. Neither is objectionably aromatic, if that's a concern.

Reactions: Wheels

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I haven’t smoked since January, and I also haven’t been around here since then.

if you’re wanting to smoke indoors seriously cough up the money and get a good air filtration system.

Coway are really good, I use to have the Airmega AP-1512HH Mighty, but the 400 is better for the dust, pollen, bacteria, mold, germs, viruses and Covid too…

Wheels

Lurker
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I haven’t smoked since January, and I also haven’t been around here since then.

if you’re wanting to smoke indoors seriously cough up the money and get a good air filtration system.

Coway are really good, I use to have the Airmega AP-1512HH Mighty, but the 400 is better for the dust, pollen, bacteria, mold, germs, viruses and Covid too…

Thanks. I never smoke indoors. A cool evening outdoors is when the pipe really sounds good to me.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
It's a mild cavendish that's been in a baggy for many years. That's what I used to like. I tried both moistening it and drying it.
I would certainly look to be smoking something fresh rather than what you have and I note you seem to always smoke in the evening. Maybe change your routine up and have a smoke in the mornings, If time is of an issue, wait until the weekend and set aside a morning period. I like to watch the sun come up but it's under clouds/rain now for the next 8 months but that is my routine.
It's worth noting too that our body chemistry changes with age, health, season and also what we eat. These points are worth considering when you're allocating a time window, oh and brush your teeth just before hand.

Reactions: Wheels

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019

It sounds like you have previously smoked pipe tobacco successfully (from the above quote)….so perhaps the old tobacco has spoiled in some fashion? Perhaps a fresh ounce or two to try may yield positive results? Worth a shot. And, perhaps if you are now somehow sensitized to cavendish, perhaps trying a simple OTC might be worth a try.