PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
$11.50 an ounce for a tobacco

This must be a joke...right?....RIGHT?!
Here in Ontario, bulk tobacco is about $18 per ounce and not much different for tins. A 100g tin of Mac Baren that is around $12 in the US is $67 here.
To add insult to injury, the law does not allow retailers to ever put tobacco "on sale" at any discount.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
deniz,
As much as I want to patronize my local B&Ms with tobacco purchases, I simply can't afford to.
My government has forced me into being a pseudo criminal. I order two tins at a time from places like 4noggins or smokingpipes.com because low value shipments tend to avoid the attention of customs.
After shipping and exchange rates those two tins come in at $15 less than I would pay for a single tin here.
Sad, but true.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
deathmetal: I was in a conservative group, but probably many college students, liberal or conservative, would have been pipe smokers. It was the contemplative thing to do.

PS - The conservative aspect was because I follow (still do) my older brother. I have a twin, but my older brother taught me everything from photography to where to buy the sheepcasing condoms.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I know that washington taxes are crazy on pipe tobacco. But I get Stokkeby at Cigar daddies for $6.75 and ounce which I can understand but $11.50 no way. That's not all taxes

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Tinderbox.com is just expensive all 'round. They charge $12 to ship 2 50g tins that are $17.75 a piece. They charge a premium for what are ultimately "standard" Lane tobaccos.
They still carry my favorite tobacco thus far (1928), but at $47 for 100g, I have to thank them for providing the impetus to branch out, try different tobaccos.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Guess we be lucky here in Columbus (oh).
The Dublin TB location is loaded with tobacco and pipes. Smoking allowed in the store there is a small lounge area.
The Easton (top end shopping area) is more cigar oriented but does have a small selection of top the line tins and decent pipe selection. The whole store is basically a busy smoking lounge and spills out front with plenty of tables and chairs. A major plus is the Irish pun next door allows smoking on their patio down towards the shop. Another is the fashion forward women who pass by.
Pipes and Pleasures is another well stocked store with nice lounge and regularly schedule jazz bands, nice poker table in the lounge and access to an area they use for special events outside.
Several other independent store that are worth visiting.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
There are two forces at work in this case. The Tinderbox has it's fees and price points as dictated by the larger company and the owner of the Tacoma location on one side (Jeff is his name btw and he is a nice guy) and the F'ing ludicrous tax system of WA state on the other. I choose to focus on the later in these discussions.
I've explained it 4 or 5 times now, but here is basically how WA does its voodoo: They have placed a 95% tax on MSRP for tobacco. That means that though we consumers can order online a Sutliff tin that has an MSRP of $10 for $6 because we all know that MSRP is bullshit, for WA purposes, the TAX on that can here in WA is going to be $9.50 no matter what Jeff charges. So then he is looking at keeping the lights on, paying his 2 employees on duty, and rent on the building. Voila Sutliff at TBox is $22.50 a can.
How does he stay in business? Easy. In order to do some protectionist bullshit, the state of WA in an effort to be "fair to local business" has declared it a felony to ship pipe/cigarette tobacco through the mail in WA. Keeps Tbox in business with a captive market and only f's over the consumer.
I have purchased many pipes from them. They have a good military discount. I buy what tobacco I can, when I can to support them. Their 12th man tobacco is a really good aro. It tastes like skittles and was based on the Marshawn Lynch skittles thing with the Seahawks.
Could Jeff Charge less? Maybe, but not enough to make them viable to many people outside the state of WA. Luckily I live near Oregon, which only has a 65% rate and if you know someone, can have shipments of online tobacco sent there...

Status
Not open for further replies.