PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
While in New York I went to Nat Sherman!
I smoked a bowl of the 510 Virginia and bought a cool cigar ashtray.
nat-sherman-1-ny-450x600.jpg

nat-sherman-3-ny-450x600.jpg

nat-sherman-4-ny-450x600.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It was neat to be there. They have a letter framed on the wall from John Wayne from the 50's thanking Nat Sherman for the cigarettes that he sent him.
It was a very friendly atmosphere and all the sales people were very nice, not hurried and happy to chat with me.
Also the woodwork in the store is beautiful.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow.... I could totally live there. They accepting tenants?
Someone needs to open up a smoking friendly residential complex ala Dunhill/Nat Sherman

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Sweetness. What a great place. NYC, worst possible location for them, long term. Enjoy it while we can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, the Wilkie Pipe Shop moved to Vermont.
Where should Sherman go?
And were there a lot of Makers/brands of pipes available?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@Sallo: Glad you were able to visit the shop and take some pictures to share with everyone.
The NYC pipe club settles there a few times per year; the last time was about 2 weeks ago celebrating Nat Sherman's 85th anniversary with their new blend, 85.
Please forgive me for not remembering the exact ingredients, but I believe it is Va's, orientals and some Lat with a touch of perique.
I'm not a fan of perique, but it the amount must be small because I can hardly notice it. The blend is mixed by hand by 'Chris', one of our contacts at Nat Sherman, and it is an excellent blend.
The woodwork is beautiful, and they had an expansion/remodel just a short time ago. Comfortable leather chairs and a huge humidor for cigar lovers.
Pipe brands and tobacco are very limited with their own mixtures dominating; during the winter I purchased a Tsuge Ikebana, but that brand is no longer there. If memory serves, Savinelli took prominence in their shop with some Dunhills. Not many other name brands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, you have to be cagey smoking a pipe in NYC, but Nat Sherman's is one place you can do that in considerable comfort. I love the huge clock above the door, giving it such a sense of place. I doubt NS is going anywhere. It's location is part of its identity. NYC does have a wacky propensity for intrusive rules and regs, but it is also highly cosmopolitan and usually figures out a way to make room for everyone, some way or another. I enjoyed a bowl of Nat Sherman 536 in a rocker just outside that beautiful humidor.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I saw a few Castellos.
They had a fairly good range of tins, but their bulks are out front in big glass jars. Wonderful!
I have to say their cigars (the timeless) I have bought from sp and are first rate.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the pics. The place looks so classy, almost like stepping back in time. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Someone needs to open up a smoking friendly residential complex ala Dunhill/Nat Sherman
If we can get enough of us in one spot, we might be able to take over Rhode Island and delete all the tobacco taxes too!

juanruiz

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
"It was neat to be there. They have a letter framed on the wall from John Wayne from the 50's thanking Nat Sherman for the cigarettes that he sent him."
Wonder if they were free. While he was filming "The Alamo," he was smoking 5 packs a day.
Might also add that with the huge NYC taxes, it's cheaper to buy Shermans in just about any other state.

Status
Not open for further replies.