Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Thank you all for the well wishes, prayers, and nuggets of advise. I am truly moved by your words. I think there really is a type of "brotherhood" among pipe smokers. I have thought that for a long time. Your kind words certainly display this fellowship.
My condition is, I believe, somewhat rare. I have a problem with a couple of cardiac valves and several things including nicotine put me at risk. I also have a propensity to go into tachycardia and my heart will beat very fast, which also puts me at high risk. My physicians are also close friends and have not given me orders lightly. Two of them are pipe smokers as well and when they say my pipe days are over I must listen.
I do have a great wife and sons with families that live close by that provide me lots of support and encouragement. I am blessed by the love of my family and friends. My grieving will not last long.
Pipes tie me to lots of personal history. I remember my first pipe purchase and first trying different tobaccos. My pipes helped me get through the tedious process of wring my thesis in grad school. I attach memories with different pipes and with different tobaccos, almost all of them wonderful memories. I used to wonder why my grandfather kept a few of his pipes long after he quit smoking. I think he probably kept them for the memories they brought. I may keep a couple but I do get some satisfaction in the idea of other folks enjoying them as opposed to holding on to them.
Again, thanks for your kind words.

Mar 1, 2014
I know if they ever ban posession or something ridiculous like that, that I'm going to smoke everything that burns in my pipes and keep trying to get flavour out of anything that can make smoke.

I might even go so far as blowing bubbles for entertainment as seen on cartoons.

We're not supposed to talk about tobacco substitutes on this forum but I think I wouldn't give up my pipes so quickly.
Sorry to hear things went downhill for you Phil, God bless.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh man, I feel for you. I hope everything works out and you are 100% in no time.
Life seems to move in seasons. Even if your season of pipe smoking is over, you will enter another season and find something just as rewarding. Keep your chin up and stay openminded.
Take care,
Mike

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I'm guessing that this is not one of those "you are 100% in no time" kind of medical issues. 1+ MSO in the object d'art. Pick the most visually appealing and with the most sensual to the hand feel for those moments when the former experience of pipe smoking is remembered with fondness and not sorrow or regret. Be as well as you can be!

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I am sorry to hear about your health situation Phil. I wish you the best in the future.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Phil, I hope you keep a couple of those pipes. I have a couple that are like blood kin to me. I could not part with them. I am very sorry to hear about your health condition. Keep your pipes close. They will comfort you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Terrible news to be sure. I hope you will be able to live long an happy even though you're being forced out of what has obviously been an enjoyable pastime and hobby. Your health is paramount and I wish you all the best.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
This would be soul crushing to me. My sincere condolences.
I agree with the above advice; if you have a favorite pipe, please keep it around as a piece of wall art. You'll at least be able to think back on the memories that way.
I might also suggest reviewing options for a healthier hobby to replace pipe smoking, if you truely must stop pipe smoking. Two huge favorites for me are walking/hiking photography (take pictures of things you encounter on your journeys - this can become deeply satisfying!) and gardening. Both of those things get you out in the fresh air that is good for you, without too much stress on the body. As always, consult your physicians - perhaps they could even give you some ideas?
I give you respect for your decision. I know it would be difficult for me to make - and if it were me, I don't know if I could live without having one pipe on Sunday or something. Maybe that makes me selfish - I don't know. You're a good person to put your health first and be around to enjoy your family, them to enjoy you.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Just keep it till your closer to death,and will no longer make a differnce.

Then you will have extreme age, and a joyous ride.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Phil, my prayers and best thoughts and wishes for you. Having only been a short time piper and have been enjoying it, you're having to leave it go is rough. Hang in there, let some time go by, get healthy. Let us know how you are doing from time to time. My best to you brother.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the prayers and the kind comments, both privately and publicly. I really appreciate your thoughts.
I have tried to keep busy. Putting down the pipe has been difficult but not as tough thus far, as I feared. I have been pulling lots of tins out of my cellar (walk-in closet) getting them ready to sell. I have actually enjoyed that process. PM me if you want to buy some tins at a substantial discount. I would like to help folks here.
Again, I really appreciate the kind comments.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Phil-

THANK YOU BROTHER!!

I received the box today, all the tins were wrapped extremely well and the "extras" were MUCH appreciated!!

I felt like a kid on Christmas Day today! And AGED tins to boot! Again, as we find SO many times on this forum, the Generosity and Brotherhood here is second to none. I truly hope your health stabilizes, and you find a grand replacement for the pipe.......... there's a lot of hobbies out there and one is sure to beckon to you.

Don't be stranger here either, keep us posted on how things pan out for you, and once again,

Thank You!!

Status
Not open for further replies.