PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
lifes a real bitch sometimes. That's rough. Assuming you didn't slack off or make a huge mistake, the kid was better off then if no one was in your position. But that kind of thing is still going to effect you. Hell we know grandpa doesn't have long and it still effects us when he goes. My point just being involved in such nasty business is grim and effects you because (let me check my notes on this) you are human. You just went through something hyper real. Even just having it shoved in your face that we're all such fragile meat bags is hardcore. I knew a sixteen year old that died from a random blood clot, only heard about it and it effected me.
P.S. I'd say talk to the pros too. Yeah they're touchy feel and stuff but that might just work better in most cases. And also you have feelings and they kind of get mangled by shit like this. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: King Bulldog
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@King Bulldog

Sorry to hear about your patient. It sounds like you tried your best. Sometimes bad circumstances outnumber our abilities to make things better—it’s no fault of our own, just bad odds.

Under the circumstances, it sounds strange to wish you a happy birthday, but maybe that’s exactly what you need to hear. Happy Birthday!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That is a tough surgery for recovery. I know our ENT guys love it since it's so invasive lol. Have polyps removed or just a widening? Any complications afterward? This is something that takes my mind off things 😂.
No polyps, just genetically small or missing passageways. I had this procedure 20 years ago and it helped a lot. Recovery then was very bloody, painful and slow. Sinusitis slowly crept back on me over time, and this time around the proceedure was much less disruptive. Some pain and some bleeding for two days, nothing that Tylenol couldn’t help. Now, on the third day, everything is looking and smelling good. Completely clear sinuses. I credit it to vastly improved imaging in the OR, a very skilled ENT, and two months of pre-surgery nasal flush with a steroid to reduce inflamation.

Chronic sinusitis is insidious. Creeps up on you and really effects cognition.

Downside: No pipe for at least another week, until everything is healed!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to distract you. Distraction is one of my super powers.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yeah. That's true. We like to think ourselves as Gods (some surgeons anyway) so it's hard to move on from bad surgeries. I'm considered the Iceman in the ER/OR because I numb my feelings afterward. This got to me though.
Controlling emotions while working is very important, but the feelings don’t disappear. Be sure to deal with them before they take on an outsized, distorted life of their own.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Firstly happy birthday mate, take a little time to be kind to yourself because it’s your day. Secondly……..bugger and no words can arrest how you feel with a loss of a life, sometimes it’s hard to detach. Thirdly, you’ve done nothing wrong, in fact the complete opposite, all the wrong falls at the feet of the driver of the vehicle and I’m pretty sure you will arrive at this conclusion too. Chat to your peers as well, you guys are right at the coal face and can really help each other in circumstances like this and keep talking about it (to anyone) as it’s the only way to shift the raw emotions you’re feeling.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Thnx for sharing, and for your years of study and work. Good plans-Communion and drinking, in that order :)

I'm with you I spirit. Happy Birthday, Friend!
kindly
Mike

ps- I'll tip a glass of Bushmill to you tonight

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
You're a surgeon that I'm sure takes his job very seriously. You gave everything you had, left no stone unturned, and tried to save a life. Although there's nothing I can say to assuage the pain you feel right now, I'm sure you know in your heart that there was nothing more you could have done.

Also, Happy Birthday!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to hear about your patient. You tried your damnest
Unfortunately shit happens
Go out sniff some flowers and hug a tree
Have a puffy and reset your mind

Happy Birthday
Hope your wife spoils you when you get home 🎂🥂

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Time to step back and look at the big picture.

If you felt this way after traumatic losses from day one, you already know how to deal with it by definition. Because you're still at it.

If you are just starting to feel this way, something has changed. And it's not how the world works... it's you.

Proceed accordingly.

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
Do you know how much it sucks to lose a patient no matter how much you tried to keep them alive? Happened to me early this morning. What makes it worse is that he was 16. Same age as my little brother. I couldn't save him. I tried for 2 hours to stop all the bleeding from a hit and run. This kid was on his way home from a friend's house. I had to break the news to his parents. I feel so useless. Nothing I did made any difference. I lose a lot of people due to the nature of my job but this was a kid. I'm just so down right now. I'm doing paperwork right now just to avoid the ER. I just needed to vent this. Thanks for reading.
I’m a physician in a surgical specialty and I know what you are feeling. The very fact you still ‘feel’ is good news. I know some that don’t. Remember that the patient is ultimately the one with the dilemma, we do our very best in knowledge, training, skill and effort to help heal and make a difference. It is not always up to us, even in the best hands. The ‘saves’ are expected of us, the losses we grieve and perceive as failures. There is always something to learn in either instance.
While ‘a wee dram’ o’ the whiskey may be in order, our answers as physicians won’t be found there, nor will healing. Some of our patients we carry in our souls for life. My faith helps me. Talking with trusted colleagues helps also and if you find that hard to find, you are in the wrong program/practice or at the wrong hospital!! Consider that. I realized that way too late earlier in my career.
Happy Birthday!! Continue mission doctor. Take time to grieve, but time to celebrate as well. The world is not fair and owes none of us nothing. The practice of medicine and especially surgery is humbling. Everyone needs help sometimes and as a seasoned CV surgeon mentor once told me, “If you want to play in the bullring, sometimes you get gored.” That didn’t rock me to sleep at night, but have never forgotten that either. Carpe Diem, my friend.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well the day got a bit brighter. Got home and my ex-wife, her husband, and my kids were there with cake. Best present I could have asked for. I couldnt save the kid no matter what anyway. His liver was in 3 parts among other things. Hit me harder since he was my brothers age

Decided to have a drink at home instead of the pub. Ex's husband tried to keep up with me with drinking. I think he's still passed out in their car on the way home. Never try to out drink an Irishman. Sláinte mhaith!

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
As you get more time under your belt you will get better at managing this. Alas, it is the reality of working out of the ER. As Cosmic mentioned, this is an odd place to vent on this stuff. The ACS has a forum dedicated to discussing these issues. Fill a bowl and take a load off.
Cob

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
As you get more time under your belt you will get better at managing this. Alas, it is the reality of working out of the ER. As Cosmic mentioned, this is an odd place to vent on this stuff. The ACS has a forum dedicated to discussing these issues. Fill a bowl and take a load off.
Cob
I've been a surgeon for 10 years lol. An attending for 2. I was a gifted child. I've got more experience now at 34 than most of the incoming interns.

Reactions: Pyrodoc
Status
Not open for further replies.