PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
The small meerschaum pipe I bought years ago has been getting much more of a work-out after just recently learning how to take care of it. I realize not that it’s a wonder I didn’t totally screw it up through misuse over the last 15 years. Had I used it properly during that time it might have even turned out to be a beautiful pipe by now.
Oh, the wasted years….
Anyhow… after not quite finishing “The Book of Pipes and Tobacco” by Carl Ehwa Jr. yesterday… I decided it was time to finally invest in a quality hand carved meerschaum.
The little pipe I’ve been using/abusing for many years is nothing more than a bent billiard by SMS, purchased at the local Tinder Box…. it’s always ‘fresh’, smokes very cool , and I believe it was made from a solid block. Having no idea the availability of quality solid block meerschaums today, I thought my best bet was to bring it up here and learn from the more experienced meerschaum smokers.
I logged on this morning when I got home from work and did a bit of internet shopping. I noticed that only one dealer mentioned anything akin to “carved from a block of meerschaum” and that was SMS, and even they could not be held liable in a court of law based on the way they worded the description of their pipes….the rest of the vendors never mentioned term as far as I could see. So I thought it best to do ask for advice before buying a $200 pipe that turned out to be made of nothing more than dust and chunks mixed with a bit of glue.
So my question to anyone who knows about decent meerschaum pipes is this: Would the carved pipes available from a place like SMS for $150-$200 truly be made from a block of Turkish Meerschaum. And if not, would you be kind enough to suggest a trustworthy dealer?

I should mention that unfortunately as a working stiff, I’m gonna have to stay in the $200 category.
Thank you in advance!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
SMS are good people and I would trust them if they claimed it was block meer. I have a couple of Samil carved pipes. They are great smokers.
Besides, his wife was born in Iowa...what could be more wholesome and truthful than that?

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks guys,....Lawrence I followed your links, clicked a few more and found what I needed. It appears I can indeed afford a very nice well made elaborately carved meer for under $200!
Soon as the Holidays are over, I'm gonna get me one! :mrgreen:

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you choose!
I have a terrible time making a decision and just let my gut reaction to the pipe rule the choice.
You'll know it when you see it, in other words.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I know Sam personally from SMS and you can trust his pipes to be good block meerschaums. I have 2 right here on my desk that I smoke frequently and they are both very old and fine smokers.
A tip when buying a meerschaum: A lot of these Turkish pipe carvers are just that...carvers. They really don't know squat about what makes a good pipe. Be sure to not only look at the carving but be sure to check the stem work. See if a pipe cleaner will pass thru it easily and note the fit. Stems are usually a meerscaum's weak point.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm quite fond of my Altinok pipe, although it isn't a "carved" one as such.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have 2 SMS pipes a churchwarden & a sitting apple great pipes for yhe money

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
My first good meer was an IMP bought from Mr Altinok, my next one will be special order from Mr Altinok, with his name on it. Having bought the one pipe and exchanged A few emails with him I like and trust him completely. He has agreed to make me A bent rhodesion and A very nice price.

Status
Not open for further replies.