PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I may have messed up but I got frustrated this morning. After the sixth pipe-sweetening of a very old abused Comoy Bulldog it still stunk to high Heaven.
So I went to the cabinet, got a Glenmorangie commemorative glass that fit the bowl perfectly, filled it with Everclear and tossed the Comoy bowl in for a very long alcohol pickling!!
Let's see how bad it wants to stink now!! :evil:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
TOMMY! What are you thinking buddy? Alcohol retort, my friend. 50ml of boiling alcohol will dissuade the most stubborn of perfumes in a few minutes.

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
imag0012-600x450.jpg

Tommy, here is a pic of the only old used pipe that I have ever purchased.(I do hope the pic appears) I wodered, should I clean out the old cake? The stem is new, but I have kept the original stem. Thanks in advance for any tips, Mike

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I don't have the equipment. I watched the video and it looks amazingly effective.
The finish had to come off anyhow,...it was not only blackened by years of use, but had been dropped on the sidewalk so many times it needed a few thousandths of an inch taken off the entire bowl just to get the pits out, sides and bottom.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Mike, you might get better advice from several of the more experienced restorers here.
You probably don't want advice from a nut who's in the proccess of pickeling a fifty year old piece of briar! :crazy:

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
imag0016-600x450.jpg

'Thought I'd try to place a pic here seeing as I only have a cat avatar...I feel so scruffy compared to Tommy's picture of himself. Mike

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Tommey remove the stem and bake just the briar at 200 for about four hours . CRS there is a post somewhere I belive I used the GL Pease website .

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Greg was filling the bowl with activated charcoal for the baking. Can't remember the other details off hand other than he warmed to bowl for a while in the oven before adding the charcoal and returning it for further baking.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Tommy,pickling your pipe probably won't hurt it. Just let it dry out for a week or so before putting a match to it.And change the alcohol a time or two.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Mike,you should leave a thin cake in your pipe.If you are worried about "ghosting" or the pipe being sour I've found that the best way to fix that is get the shank spotless.Most of the liquids and crud will settle there and I believe it is the shank and sometimes the very bottom of the bowl is where the stink and ghosting occur.I use small brushes,some tiny homemade scrapers and Q-tips,save your pipe cleaners for the stem.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
@Mike the Pipe: That pic of you with your rod is a keeper. Have another taken but this time put a puffer in your face. Brother Tommy is always well attired, however, you are well equipped! Comes the revolution brother you are the man to hang around town with.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Tommy,
I have to say I thought I made a mistake a while back as well. I got my first estate pipe a while back and the thought of just wipping the out side of the bit just grossed me out. I didn't think it was enough. So I filled the bowl with congac and tilted it to just the point of liquid coming out of the bit. I let it sit all day and wiped out all the nasty gunk that had come out. I finally got to bare wood in the bowl and did it again. I let it sit for a week before smoking it.
While I was waiting the week I read on here how to properly get rid of ghosts in a pipe and thought I royally screwed my new pipe.
Turns out, it smokes great and tastes just like a new pipe. No inherited cake or left over ghost.
I think there are plenty of methods to be found and you may have just discovered a new one. Some say idiot while others say genius. I think it is what ever works for you.

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
Hi, mjtannen & puffintuff...It was a member of the ak family (74 as it got called)

Now, we are both happy in our new home but it is small. I now have no 'live' firing rifles; I target shoot and occasionally shoot a squirrel with one of two air rifles. One is a spring powered Webley, the other is a pre charged Air Arms(charges up from a divers bottle)

The lower rifle is a deactivated 1960's AK Mod. 'Purchased it last year, took home and found its been deactivated by some neanderthal with two greasy spot welds on the trigger twine. One weld fell out and rolled over the kitchen foor! That pic of me was my second ever on any forum and I did feel bad that I'd threadnapped Tommy's post. Mike

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
imag0027-600x450.jpg

Phew, did it? Im such an old fart. I often work near quirky old shops but no more bringing home old AK's ect, its cold in the doghouse this time o' year.

Status
Not open for further replies.