PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

isteen

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2010
Denmark
Hi

I have tried various pipes, but there are one I especially like.

It's small and handy, I like the way to tobacco taste in it - and it doesn't swallow a lot of tobacco in the bowl, so I don't have to walk around with a smelly pipe in my pocket half of the day.

The pipe is of course Stanwell Featherweight sandblasted #107
Other fans of that lovely little thing in here?
Steen from Denmark

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I have been interestded in smaller pipes lately. Between the wife and kid's I don't get alot of alone or down time so I've been investigating smaller pipes. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out that Stanwell. Do you get alot of juice in the bowl

w/ small pipes.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
That looks to be about the size of my meer. I too tend to prefer the smaller pipes. Just seem easier to manage or sqeeze in.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I also have several smaller pipes that at first I didn't think I would like, but soon found them to be very convenient and smoke as well as my larger pipes.

I wish I could figure out how to post a photo on this site. I tried a few times but it didn't work as I was told it would.

Anyway, my latest one is a Stanwell Colonial, shape 191. The whole pipe is 4 1/2 in. long, and the bowl is 1 3/4 in. tall. It has great grain and color too.

I also have an Edward's bent, about Dunhill size 3, a Comoy straight grain about the same size, and a Radice bulldog, also about size 3.
I find them great for a short smoke, or to just walk around with in the mouth.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like a compact pipe. I have a rusticated Ardor that disappears in a shirt pocket.

I use it when driving sometimes, and always when out on my Fat Boy.

The small bowl keeps the smokes to 1/2 hour, about like a church warden.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Maxpeters Said: I wish I could figure out how to post a photo on this site. I tried a few times but it didn't work as I was told it would.
Try doing it this way:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I love small pipes. They've proven to be really great smokers for me. Once I got the first one (the dublin) I had to get the others in this Chacom Smart series.
chacomsmartdublin.png

chacomsmartfullbent.png

chacomsmartbilliard.png

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Those look like the pipes I turned into church wardens.

Makes me wish I still had the stems for them.

My favorite is the bent in the middle.

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
maxpeters, I have the same "Stannie" as you do. They're great little smokers. I find that I get better results with folded flakes if I use smaller pipes.
sinistertopiary, that Chacom Smart series looks really nifty! I would've popped for all three also!
phil, I did a quick Google on nose warmers and discovered that all of them are really pricey. I would think they could be mass produced like any other. Go figure. But since you're a cob man, why not email that "Pimp Your Cob" guy and ask if he would make a short stem for one of your cobs? That might be the coolest nose warmer ever! But switching from churchwarden to nose warmer might confuse people. (Just tell them you cleaned it, and it shrunk!)

isteen

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2010
Denmark
@ brazz

I have been interestded in smaller pipes lately. Between the wife and kid's I don't get alot of alone or down time so I've been investigating smaller pipes. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out that Stanwell. Do you get alot of juice in the bowl

w/ small pipes
I have kids too, so I don't get much time alone for smoking either. That is one of the reasons I love the small featherweight.

I don't really get any juice from smoking it - except the last bit in the bowl, I don't enjoy as much. But to get a nice clean pipe, that don't smell bad, I guess I have to some it right to the bitter end ;-)

I really think a small pipe gives you a richer taste from the tobacco

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
i pretty much only buy small pipes... always have... smoking enourmous pipes just isnt my thing - id rather smoke a couple smaller bowls than one huge one!
in saying that, i do have a couple "large" group 5s that work very well at smoking mixtures, but i dont smoke them all that often.
usually i buy around group 3s. this i would consider medium really.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I too an enjoying smaller more traditional pipes lately.
A Stanwell was one of my Christmas gifts to myself and it is one of my favorite pipes right now.
It's actually the one I am smoking in the YouTube video I did about the pipe tax,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spN9py1ryFI
(I looked pissed in that video because I am. LOL. That's the same way I looked when I responded to Dek, lol.)
Last year at the Chicago Pipe Show I saw a bunch of guys smoking the huge freehands and it looked cool. I got a couple of them and everybody was like wow, what a cool pipe.
I am not really fond of them anymore and like the smaller traditional pipes much better now.
I think they look, feel and smoke better.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have some large-bowled pipes that I use for particular blends. Some of the Burleys, like H&H's LJ Heart Burley and C&D's Haunted Bookshop work better in larger pipes than many Va blends. I think it's the amount of air, or the amount of tobacco being burned on each puff that makes the difference. But small and medium sized bowls are the norm for me.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Those are nice looking,even more impressive is how nice looking you keep them.

Do you have any special tips for pipe care ?

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Great looking pipe Phil, I have a dublin nosewarmer that I enjoy a lot. Most of my pipes are traditional size, I have a few large bowls but I find I don't smoke them very often .

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Here are my small pipes.
Mr. Brog 47

mr-brog-47-600x207.jpg

University Rhodesian

university-600x204.jpg

Stanwell Duplex 32

stanwell-duplex-32-600x231.jpg

Here is the one that looks just like Maxpeters' Stanwell.

Karl Eric Bent Bulldog

karl-eric-bent-bulldog-600x246.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.