I Just Lost My Virginity And F***ed It Up...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I puked early on in my piping days. I didn’t know to dry out tobaccos before smoking, and was exploring English blends, which are usually pretty easy to smoke without drying. I got a tin of Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist, and was excited to try it out. So I got home, sliced a couple coins off the rope, folded them up and started puffing. I couldn’t keep it lit, wet and compressed as it was, and kept puffing harder and harder while lighting over and over. The notoriously strong nicotine hit me like a sledgehammer, and I got the spins, laid down, and then puked. Didn’t touch a Gawith Twist for a decade after. Now I love ‘em. But it was a miserable experience that was caused totally by my inexperienced zeal to try a new tobacco.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I got a tin of Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist, and was excited to try it out
You're certainly not the first person to have a misadventure with that blend. If I was inclined to try to induce nausea from smoking a strong pipe tobacco too quickly, that would be the one I'd reach for. Probably something to do with its "flaming drum of used motor oil" essence

Jul 25, 2019
@hawky454
It’s quite sad to me that thow hath given up on it so easily. I hope you’re not always this easily discouraged.
Can't think of anything else I've given up so easily on, no. I get migraines anyway, so I have enough headaches and nausea in my life. Voluntarily bringing it on seems a little daft to me. My body is trying to send me a message and I should listen.

Jul 25, 2019
@alaskanpiper
very few who were willing to put the effort in to actually figure it out.
"Couldn't keep it lit."

"Didn't taste how I expected."

"Too much work."
Are the three reasons I hear most often.
I wouldn't quit if it was just down to lighting problems, and I don't mind the work of packing tamping etc. I would have enjoyed honing my skills.
As for taste being awful, I would have definitely given in another few attemps with drier tobacco. But the after effects killed it for me.

Jul 25, 2019
@logs
But vomiting?? That would be a deal breaker for me. I can understand your wanting to take a pass on further adventures in smoking.
I'm glad you understand. It really is a shame as I have gained so much knowledge on the subject but I can't put it into practice.
Mayb I should hold onto my pipe and tobacco and if anyone shows an interest in them, pass on my 'knowledge'. :)

Jul 25, 2019
@mikefu
I puked early on in my piping days. I didn’t know to dry out tobaccos before smoking, and was exploring English blends, which are usually pretty easy to smoke without drying. I got a tin of Samuel Gawith Black XX Twist, and was excited to try it out. So I got home, sliced a couple coins off the rope, folded them up and started puffing. I couldn’t keep it lit, wet and compressed as it was, and kept puffing harder and harder while lighting over and over. The notoriously strong nicotine hit me like a sledgehammer, and I got the spins, laid down, and then puked.
Interesting. That sounds like my experience, although I was using a blend thats strength was supposedly 'mild'. And I still puked. On half a bowl.

@piper there are no chemical which will make you dizzy except nicotine. Nutty cut will have a casing for flavor, some humectant and anti-fungla which is food grade. Nutty cut bites, perhaps it was that along with the nicotine. Try the english blend I suggested, dont inhale and report back !!
Also get your BP checked, a friend used to puke and get his BP high while smoking a pipe. He is fine now, puffs like an engine.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Jul 25, 2019
@Chris
Wrong tobacco for the first time smoker. Not criticizing just speaking from personal experience. Purchase a mild English blend, let's say GL Pease Picadilly. Pack it light and smoke away.
Not easy to get hold of in UK. I wonder if Gawith Hoggarth No.25 Mixture would have been a better beginner's smoke?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If it hadn't been for the post sickness I would be fully prepared to try again until I worked it out.
So you have already quit trying?
I know people who have tried pipe smoking a time or two and then quit but it was always because they didn't have the patience to get the techniques right. I've never met anyone who gets nauseated just from smelling tobacco in the jar or tin.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sadly, I don't think this is that uncommon. I have talked to quite a few people who have "tried" pipe smoking "once or twice" but very few who were willing to put the effort in to actually figure it out.
"Couldn't keep it lit."

"Didn't taste how I expected."

"Too much work."
Are the three reasons I hear most often.

Yeah, you’re probably right. A crying shame is what that is, a cryin’ shame I tells ya!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Can't think of anything else I've given up so easily on, no. I get migraines anyway, so I have enough headaches and nausea in my life. Voluntarily bringing it on seems a little daft to me. My body is trying to send me a message and I should listen.

Oh I totally understand man, I suffered from migraines for years and then I found a cheap lil herb called Fever Few and it’s totally turned my life around, give it a shot if you haven’t already tried it. It was a miracle for me and my Mom. Anyway, I hate to see a novice pipe smoker give it up but you certainly have your reasons and I respect you for them. At least you can say ya gave it a try but it just wasn’t for you. Good luck to you and your future endeavors, I hope you can get those migraines to go away for good, them there things are no good no how.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
from what i'm reading, smoking doesn't seem to work for you. cigars didn't work. cigarettes, you don't seem to like. pipe is giving multiple issues. trust me, it's good thing your body reject smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.