PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
I've been looking at teaching at a college for the last few years since I got my PhD in English and today I have been blessed. Indiana University has an opening and I am on the short list. I hope to get the job.

We will have to move of course but it's a great opportunity. My wife will need to get a teaching job in the area and the kids will have to go to new schools. I'm looking into moving within 40 miles of the college if I get the job since the college is directly off of I-69. There is a tobacconist in Bloomington too so that is a plus.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Congratulations! I'm a postdoctoral biomedical researcher, and until relatively recently I still held the dream of becoming faculty (professor) at a tier 1 university. It stings a little bit to admit it, but it was never in the cards for me. At least for research faculty, it's nearly impossible to get a position unless you have funding beforehand (a grant) or a cohort of faculty to which you're beholden in some sense and who are pulling strings for you behind the scenes. I assume in your case you'd be a teaching faculty primarily.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Congratulations! I'm a postdoctoral biomedical researcher, and until relatively recently I still held the dream of becoming faculty (professor) at a tier 1 university. It stings a little bit to admit it, but it was never in the cards for me. At least for research faculty, it's nearly impossible to get a position unless you have funding beforehand (a grant) or a cohort of faculty to which you're beholden in some sense and who are pulling strings for you behind the scenes. I assume in your case you'd be a teaching faculty primarily.
Yeah, I'll be teaching future teachers and the like. I'm really hoping to land this job. I will turn on my Kentucky charm. They might take me for a Kentucky Colonel 😂.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good luck!
Yes I can relate, i gave up on trying to make it in academia 10 years ago, turned over to the dark side of the private sector. You really need champions to both score a position and bring/get your own funding.

Playing the game is probably more important than being a good scientist, it’s disgusting really.