PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
I bought a Meerschaum Hardwood (Cherry) a while back and have not found a good tobacco for it yet. The 'woody' taste that comes along with the pipe i'm sure could be utilized in some kind of tobacco but I have not found one yet. Does anyone here smoke a hardwood pipe? Any suggestions?

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey William, hope Im not derailing ya here, but Ive smoked an MM hardwood and noticed no such flavor. Might this taste just be a part of the break in period? New briars can have such a taste to me for the first couple of bowls, and cobs have a very odd taste first time I light them.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I have a cheap offbrand hardwood pipe that smokes HH Old Dark Fired like a champ. The woody/earthy combo just makes sense to me. The sweet hint is a nice touch as well. Works well with Irish Flake also. I'd say try the dark Va/Bur route and see if it works for you.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Be careful, William. Tasting something "woody" might mean you're smoking tobacco AND the inside of the bowl.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
No worries bigvan, I've made sure that's not the pipe. HH Old Dark Fired sounds great actually, I'll invest in some of that and probably some Vintage Syrian. I wasn't terribly keen on Nightcap.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

im2for1

Lurker
Jul 20, 2014
Are you tasting the hardwood stem that extends into the bowl burning?

Many people take the time to trim the stem off using an exacto knife.

Liz

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've got an MM Maple Hardwood Diplomat, and it does have a slightly more woody taste than a new briar -- and it's not a maple flavor! 8O
For something with wood-like flavor elements, consider: GL Pease Cumberland or Stratford; 4noggins' Weybridge; or Rattray's Marlin Flake.
For something that might contrast nicely with the woody note, try Peterson's Hyde Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.