I bought this out of curiosity yesterday at an estate pipe sale.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Garrison Stem Connector.jpgGarrison Estate Pipe Import Briar.jpg
I am really curious about what the thought process is in this style of stem connector. Looking with a light in the shank area it appears to be a well area where this ball tip of the stem connector would align. Was this to allow moisture to drip off the ball into the well area? It was a cheap buy of only 15.00 dollars seems to smoke well after cleaning it up. But gurgles a lot but gets a good burn of the bowl. Just curious about what the design of the stem was intended to solve if anything and what results others have had with them. Curious minds want to know.

Reactions: chopper
Men of yore, used to judge a pipe by how well it gurgled. That soppy wet gurgle noise used to make the girls' panties sop with excitement. So, men would load up with very moist tobaccos, and smoke these stinger pipes as a sort of mating call.

The moisture is condensed by the turbulence caused by having to enter the stem around that metal ball, and the slot would hold a droplet of water that would set in the stem side and make the pleasing, wet sloshing gurgle that would tickle the fancy of the women of the day.

Otherwise, I have no f-n idea why someone would want one of those damned noise makers. puffy

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Men of yore, used to judge a pipe by how well it gurgled. That soppy wet gurgle noise used to make the girls' panties sop with excitement. So, men would load up with very moist tobaccos, and smoke these stinger pipes as a sort of mating call.

The moisture is condensed by the turbulence caused by having to enter the stem around that metal ball, and the slot would hold a droplet of water that would set in the stem side and make the pleasing, wet sloshing gurgle that would tickle the fancy of the women of the day.

Otherwise, I have no f-n idea why someone would want one of those damned noise makers. puffy
LOL Oh my love your response. What I get for a curious mind I guess. I am way past needing a mating call so I will have to choose wisely where to smoke this thing from now on, knowing what the purpose was back in the day. LOL

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho

Has anyone tried cutting the ball off with a jeweler's saw just ahead of the thread area and would that limit the mating call?

Has anyone tried cutting the ball off with a jeweler's saw just ahead of the thread area and would that limit the mating call?
Is it part of the screw in fitment? Seems like I have read that some guys were able to remove them with a tad bit of heat and some pliers, but I would wait to see if someone with experience speaks up. DO NOT take my word on that.

Reactions: ARTOPUT

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
If you prefer it with the stinger, you can always re-install it. I hope you enjoy your new to you pipe. is there a brand name or any markings on the pipe?

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
If you prefer it with the stinger, you can always re-install it. I hope you enjoy your new to you pipe. is there a brand name or any markings on the pipe?
Yes, it has a stamp of Garrison imported briar on it. Yes, I will save the stinger for if I ever sell it I will put it back on in case some young man needs a mating call.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Pipedia associates Garrison Pipes to the Ben Wade company through the Whitehall company. I am not sure if this kind of thing interests you.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Where do u think the bubble blowing plastic pipes came from?? Same sound and everything!

Where do u think the bubble blowing plastic pipes came from?? Same sound and everything!
...just drives the women wild, like Elvis or a Beatles concert. Ha ha, I've always wondered, why the hell women got so crazy over them. They said that after an Elvis show the floor would be wet puddles under where all of the girls were standing.
If you see men at a strip show (on TV), they barely ever make a noise, just quietly holding dollar bills up in the air.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
...just drives the women wild, like Elvis or a Beatles concert. Ha ha, I've always wondered, why the hell women got so crazy over them. They said that after an Elvis show the floor would be wet puddles under where all of the girls were standing.
If you see men at a strip show (on TV), they barely ever make a noise, just quietly holding dollar bills up in the air.
Holding those dollar bills with only one hand I'dguess!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think the stinger was a thing mainly aimed at inexperienced pipes smokers who kept getting tobacco juice in their mouths. Or maybe intended the way I use my falcon, the pipe I pick when I might not pay as much attention as I'd normally like (writing is a good example of that, the puffing can get a bit mindless when considering which word choice best paints the image or carries the best connotations for the story.)