PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I wish someone would ask for my ID. But I haven't been carded since I turned 14. And when I look in the mirror and see that wrinkled face, bald head, and sagging jawline, I know that it will never happen.
Come to suburban Atlanta and try to buy booze or pipe cleaners. A few months ago I was in the same Kroger and the woman in front of me was checking out and had a bottle of wine. They carded her and then told her she couldn't buy it because her drivers' licence was expired. It had her f***ing picture on it. I said "She looks old enough to me" and she said "I was born in 1967". I said give me the damn bottle of wine and I'll pay for it. I paid for it and handed it to her and she gave me a twenty and told me to keep the change (the wine was $14 and change) and I said absolutely not and made the clerk give me change for her twenty and gave it to her. I cannot abide stupidity and the older I get the less tolerance I have for this nanny state bullshit.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Andy, I agree with you.
Now, some say. "Don't blame the cashier." Or. "Blame the managers for not training properly." Or. "Blame the voters." Or. "Blame the politicians."
Here's what I think. How about blaming all of them.
It's the cashiers fault because she is too afraid to speak up and say. "No way will I ID a person I know is older than 21. I do have common sense and my common sense tells me this guy is older than 21. Yes, fire me if you'd like. There are other jobs out there. They may not be the best jobs, but I'm sure one can be found that pays the same as a cashier."
People, like that cashier today are afraid to speak up, especially when they know that what they are doing or saying is wrong. People are afraid to say. "Hey, this is wrong." When you speak from your heart, when you speak from your gut and you speak what you believe is true, your speaking from your soul. And there is nothing wrong with that. We are becoming a soft country because we are afraid to speak up.
It's the managers fault because he or she has bought into the laws that have slowly suppressed our God Given rights. Every law that has been written has taken away a freedom. When you tell me that I have to show my ID, you are infringing upon my right, not to show it.
The voters are at fault because they allow the politicians to be voted who write these laws. That's because the majority of voters have no clue as to what a politicians true motives are. The voters get their advice on who to vote for from the media.
There is far too much ignorance today about what made America great. And that ignorance has led us down a scary slope. When I ask high school kids to name one founding father, the answer I receive most is, Abraham Lincoln. When I ask college kids. "Who wrote the Star Spangled Banner?" Or, "what are the three branches of government?" They go limp.
And the politicians are at fault, well because they are politicians. And when your a politician it's not about the voter, or this country, it's about who can help me advance my career or my pocketbook.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I Bought A Pack Of Dill's Pipecleaners At Kroger Tonight
Congrats on the Dill's ... they're my favorite.

I just picked up a Carton of 640 through P&C ... that should last a month. :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Store staff and managers are certainly not at fault! I would immediately cashier a cashier who refused to follow instructions and obey the law. Enforcement agencies often send in obviously of age buyers to see if the law is being followed. It's not a matter of choice or "using common sense" it's a matter of jeopardizing the employer's money, business and the welfare of the other employees by breaking the law.
If one has a problem with a law or local ordinance, organize sufficient voters to get the rule changed. Asking others to break a law, jeopardize employment, etc., for your convenience is just wrong. If you are not willing to try and change a law, accept it and move on. Taking your frustration out on some minimum wage employee may make you feel superior for a few minutes but, it will certainly diminish you in the eyes of those who witness your actions.
If you have to get mad, get mad at the right people and try to make changes.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
There is no law here in Georgia that one must show an ID to buy alcohol or tobacco, only that you must be 21 to buy alcohol and 18 to buy tobacco. My problem is with the stupidity of demanding an ID from someone who is obviously well over the age required to buy it. What the hell is the point in asking an 80 year old woman for an ID when she buys a bottle of wine? The law doesn't require it here so why do it? It's the same type of idiocy that gets a kid expelled from school for pointing a chicken finger and saying "bang".

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Ae1pt, you stated -"Having a bit of familiarity with Christian Scripture, I am at a loss to find in any historic or current iteration of the Bible anything that states the unfettered consumption of alcohol or tobacco is a natural right bestowed by ones creator. Taking it a bit further, my basic review included Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. For the most part, all frown on either--temple of the body, moral turpitude and all that."
Contrary to what you said. This country was founded on Christian principles. And you say that "natural rights" do not exist because you cannot find any solid evidence of and are the "province of conservatives, philosophers, libertarians, and theologians."
Then I guess Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and John Adams were wrong when they drafted the Declaration of Independence. Each of these men spoke of natural rights as well as natural laws. Jefferson was also a student of, yes, philosopher, John Locke who's "Two Treatises of Government" became a huge base regarding natural rights for Jefferson when he drafted the Declaration.
Natural rights are a part of us as humans. To deny that they exist and that they are nothing more than a figment of the imagination of some philosopher, conservative, or libertarian is to deny that we exist.
Alexis de Tocqueville wrote about the natural rights of man in Democracy in America.
In addition, Thomas Paine wrote extensively about the natural rights of man.
Neither of these men was a philosopher, conservative, or libertarian.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Oh crap... where the hell is this thread going to! :roll:
All I know is that at the age of 67 I would like to walk into a store and buy a pack of fucking pipe cleaners, which can be purchased at any hobby/craft store by a child, and not have to reach for my freaking I.D. to satisfy some Goddamn idiotic panic stricken no tolerance laws when it comes to anything associated with 'tobacco' in the slightest way. That's all this subject/thread is about when all is said and done. Pretty simple eh? :wink:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Andy, I agree with you.
Now, some say. "Don't blame the cashier." Or. "Blame the managers for not training properly." Or. "Blame the voters." Or. "Blame the politicians."
Here's what I think. How about blaming all of them.
It's the cashiers fault because she is too afraid to speak up and say. "No way will I ID a person I know is older than 21. I do have common sense and my common sense tells me this guy is older than 21. Yes, fire me if you'd like. There are other jobs out there. They may not be the best jobs, but I'm sure one can be found that pays the same as a cashier."
People, like that cashier today are afraid to speak up, especially when they know that what they are doing or saying is wrong. People are afraid to say. "Hey, this is wrong." When you speak from your heart, when you speak from your gut and you speak what you believe is true, your speaking from your soul. And there is nothing wrong with that. We are becoming a soft country because we are afraid to speak up.
It's the managers fault because he or she has bought into the laws that have slowly suppressed our God Given rights. Every law that has been written has taken away a freedom. When you tell me that I have to show my ID, you are infringing upon my right, not to show it.
The voters are at fault because they allow the politicians to be voted who write these laws. That's because the majority of voters have no clue as to what a politicians true motives are. The voters get their advice on who to vote for from the media.
There is far too much ignorance today about what made America great. And that ignorance has led us down a scary slope. When I ask high school kids to name one founding father, the answer I receive most is, Abraham Lincoln. When I ask college kids. "Who wrote the Star Spangled Banner?" Or, "what are the three branches of government?" They go limp.
And the politicians are at fault, well because they are politicians. And when your a politician it's not about the voter, or this country, it's about who can help me advance my career or my pocketbook.
I use to be amazed buy now simply scared by some of the stuff that gets post..
IF I owned a tobacco shop or a carry-out and the law was 18 for tobacco or 21 for booze.. everyone would get carded period. you can't card just some people (profiling). if a cashier or manager ignored it they would be gone because I wouldn't want to lose my business. around here it's not uncommon for the authority's to send in an older looking teen to buy smokes or tobacco film it and bust you. aka loose you license. if being carded for booze or smokes is you biggest problem consider yourself damn lucky.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If I believe in monarchy, theocracy, anarchacy, or any of the other "archacies", and you do not, then a conflict exists. Such conflicts are historically settled through the use of arms. The English did not have the power, nor the will to force us to conform and let us go our own way to live under our own laws which are evolving even today. This is especially true in the interpretation of "rights." Man only has rights if the powers that be endow them with such, no matter what one's beliefs. I'm pragmatic enough to believe no matter where one thinks their "rights" derive from they'd better have the will-power and ability to defend such rights or someone stronger will impose different rights.
In the US, a minority of the people elect those who determine the "rights de jour" are. Disagreements with regards to such are settled by the courts. Humans determine what rights other humans have or do not have. If you believe in "God given" rights, those rights depend on which God you believe in. Humanists determine rights on what they think should be "rights." If there is a God, I believe there is, I suspect He has a grand sense of humor and is enjoying the spectacle of us grappling with each other as we struggle for what we perceive to be "our rights."
ae1pt: You've contradicted yourself in the above. If the state demands that it's photo ID, which they have issued to you with certain conditions, be photocopied then, photocopied it will be.
boilermakerrandy should be extremely proud. This is one of those threads which fascinates, educates and amuses. Thanks randy!
Mods: This is a philosophical discussion only. No politics or religion here. So . . . move along.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
To answer your question. I could truly care less what the clerk needs to see my I.D. for. I have to show it for anything over a $40 purchase. It is not violating my rights of any kind to ask to see my I.D. for some pipe cleaners. Do I think it us foolish yes. Do I actually care? No

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My mental anguish with this or any other superfluous legislation is that we PAY these asshats to make these laws. Instead of tackling REAL issues they while away their sessions passing this level if stupid and then hold up these laws like they are shiny and great and they are entitled to re-election.
Then policies have to be developed by businesses to accommodate the stupid.... costing businesses and gov't agencies yest more money.
Then you have employees who have to enforce the policies. in this case coding everything and then checking ID's when necessary. all of which costs more $.
That is what annoys me. you get enough of these stupid policies and we may be passed by China and no longer have the #1 economy in the world....
Oh wait....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Being semi-literate, I cannot hope to compete with the erudition that has preceded me in this thread. But I will offer a point that has not been brought up, and it relates to corporate ass protection.
After being away from Warners full time for a number of years I came back into the fold a little over a year ago. As part of designing and/or painting backgrounds we often use fonts for signage that appears in a scene. We now have a department that issues a list of "approved" lettering and every sign, or use of lettering has to go through an approval process before it can become part of the design. Almost all of the styles have been around in public use for decades, but we HAVE to go through this process. Even if the lettering is something that we make up, it needs to be vetted to make sure that it doesn't resemble some existing lettering style. WHY? Because a number of fonts have had usage rights registered by some very smart and frankly opportunistic people, even stuff that was public domain. Warners suddenly found themselves being sued for using type that had never been a problem before. While some of the claims were questionable, it still took time and money to dispute them. So Warners decided to simplify things to reduce their exposure. Major corporations are subject to a lot of nonsensical lawsuits because "that's where the money is" (Yes, I know that Willie Sutton didn't actually say that). So they will issue guidelines intended to reduce that exposure.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hell, I don't even know what anyone is talking about anymore, much less what it has to do with the original subject. Unbelievable, but certainly no longer surprising! :lol:

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
All I know is that at the age of 67 I would like to walk into a store and buy a pack of fucking pipe cleaners, which can be purchased at any hobby/craft store by a child, and not have to reach for my freaking I.D. to satisfy some Goddamn idiotic panic stricken no tolerance laws when it comes to anything associated with 'tobacco' in the slightest way. That's all this subject/thread is about when all is said and done. Pretty simple eh? [:wink:]
Phil,
This sums up perfectly my feelings and what I was attempting to express when I put this thread up. I'm just sick to death of this zero tolerance nanny state bullshit. :(

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
You either have to rage and scream, develop ulcers and a bad attitude, or simply accept people will be people and go merrily along your way, accepting what you have no chance in hell in changing and accepting the small inconveniences until, like all who have preceded you, you to will be eating the dirt sandwich.
"Life's a bitch and then you die," was a quote from my sergeant when I was a rookie cop on my first homicide. I thought it was words to live by. There's a unique perspective in that quote.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Passivity has festered into a new revolution. People are pissed. We are not suppose to speak up. Just follow the herd like a bunch of sheep.
Thomas Jefferson was right on when he said: "One man with courage is a majority."

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
when all you guys go online buy tobacco and have to click the box that you are 18 before checking out.. does that offend you?

when you pick-up drugs at the Rx and are asked for ID do you throw a fit?

when you have to wear/show an ID badge at work?

when you have to show a DL/passport at the airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.