PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As a non clencher (can't quite get the hang of it (pun noticed)) I can't really say but I suspect if I were to clench it would be the left side of my mouth.
I wonder why no one clenches with the pipe right in the middle, perhaps the smoke rising up directly into the nose is the reason?
On handedness I remember as a child with four sisters, my youngest sister appeared very early on to be left handed and my parents went to great lengths to correct this 'affliction' as they viewed left handedness to be 'abnormal'!
Regards,
Jay.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
This is definitely an interesting topic, regardless of how important it is. I am right handed, but I only touch my pipe with my left hand to light it. After that, it's in my right hand or I clench if I need to do something. I find that I will set it down before I'll hold it in my left hand. No idea why, it is completely unconscious. I only noticed after people post questions like these. In fact, I made my first pipe and found myself carving it based on how it felt in my right hand. I also only seem to smoke from the right side of my mouth.

*EDIT: I was amused to then see my profile picture appears as though I smoke on the left, but that is from a front facing camera on my phone that flipped the image. Never noticed until this post.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"No idea why, it is completely unconscious."
Interesting but not unusual. There is so much about pipe smoking that is done subconsciously that it takes someone to point it out otherwise we may not ever be aware we do certain things while enjoying our pipes.
Perhaps this just shows that generally folks 'switch off' when smoking. I personally think that is what I do and just get lost in those few moments of smoking bliss, especially so when I hit that 'sweet spot'.
This might also explain why I am unable to enjoy a smoke properly if I am engaged in actually doing something other than reading or watching TV.
Regards,
Jay.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
No, there's nothing odd about that. Not when you need the right hand to work your lighter and tamper.
Strangely, I switch the pipe to my right hand only when I resort to using my thumb as a tamper, which is probably because my left thumb isn't as important as my right thumb. Therefore, that isn't really strange either.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I write left-handed and eat that way and everything else is right-handed. But, it just feels unnatural for me to smoke with my left hand. Might hold a pipe that way for a short while but always switch back. It actually seems strange to me that I have such a preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.