PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I am a pipe-smoker. According to some I am a fading shadow of a passing age, and a throwback to another era. To a degree I suppose that this is true, after all I shave using a safety razor, brush, and mug; I have a den full of books and read extensively (and watch television seldomly); I hunt (upland birds); and I fish with the dry-fly.
But then again, it's probably not me who cuts (or flips) you off in traffic, nor am I the Type-A schemer seeking to take your wife and/or your job. I don't require prescription mood-stabilizers, I'm not in therapy, I've been married (to the same woman) for 29 years, and I would like to think that you could count on me in a pinch. Interestingly, all of the pipe-smokers that I know are (or were) constructed along similar lines.
A throwback? If that's the case, then I'm right where I want to be. Won't you join me?

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I am a relatively younger guy but I feel just as confused by peoples priorities, selfishness self centered behavior and lack of manners. Now I am not perfect but I am aware of pitchers around me and how my behavior and choices affects others. That's why I moved out of Houston. I just couldn't take the traffic and mass of People. I am now living a much slower passed life out in the country and it is a much better quality of life.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
Mcitinner1:
Thank-you for the compliment! No, I'm not a writer by trade. I've simply been blessed to read the works of many good writers, so any facility with words or eloquence that I've hence gained should properly be credited to them.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks, Hunter, for your delightful and eloquent post. I can only echo your sentiments. Next month, my wife and I will celebrate 36 years of togetherness, and right now, we're sitting out on our deck reading, and just enjoying each other's company. Your observation about pipe smokers is right on the mark--it's awfully hard to go charging around like a mad fool when you have a lit pipe to commune with.

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
I echo everyone on your (hunter) ability to write. It is very pleasing to read.
I am also an avid reader, I probably spend more of my income on books and tobacco than food, and rightly so.
I whittle in a rocking chair that I restored (whilst smoking), I whistle while I drive (I would rather walk everywhere), I have only kissed one woman, my wife of one year (who I courted for 6 years prior to marriage), I believe in Boy Scouts (I hold the rank of Eagle), I chop wood to work out frustrations, I can fix just about anything and I have an impeccable ability to look on the brighter side, usually with an educated, imaginative way.
If I am a dying breed so be it, my breed and I shall die happy.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hunter, it amazes me how so many of us share the same interests aside from the pipe, I believe it's a heredity thing and I truly wish there was more of "us" and less of "them". Lol.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Well said, Hunter. Sentiments here that I take to heart and heartily agree upon! I, too, read voraciously. I do not have a television and most of my spare income, in company with William above, seems to be dedicated to pipes (and tobacco, of course) and books. I garden, walk and enjoy company, particularly lately with fellow pipe smokers. Within this fraternity of pipers, I am jolly glad to be a member. So, I will gladly join you, sir and wish you and everyone else here utter and complete joy with their pipes.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Perfect discription of the type of man I hope that I am. I too use the badger and blade to shave and have recently taken up fine woodworking with handtools. I wonder if you also wear mechanical watches?

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
@ hunter you sound golden to me ! I have been married for 30 years and you can tell she has caused all my hair to fall out. I look like a baby bird. :puffy:

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I figured that you would, I have a Seiko and a Tissot. I'd love to one day have an Omega Aqua Terra.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
And I write with a fountain pen, collect them almost as avidly as I do pipes, have a nice selection of inks, and am known for the handwritten notes I send.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
After watching Brian Lamb's interviews of Shelby Foote on C-SPAN's Booknotes program I became interested in writing with what the former referred to as a "dip-pen." Accordingly now I possess a number of wooden pen-staffs, boxes of various nibs, an antique Sengbusch Self-Closing Inkstand, and a quantity of black ink. I enjoy using them; however, I regret having not paid more attention to my penmanship lessons in elementary school, for my cursive handwriting is atrocious!

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
HUNTER! I think you're onto something there my friend. There seems to be a commonality amongst our community that extends beyond the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.