PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I've never seen mold transfer with discs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've just never seen it myself. That's probably another advantage of using your own device, like a small candy tin with a paper towel or toilet paper. Use a new paper towel each time and wash out the tin if you suspect any funny business.

Reactions: haebar
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I never disinfected mine and never had mold, but I live in Colorado, which has a dry climate. Just dunk them in the sink for one minute or so and they're ready to go. Don't put them in direct contact with the tobacco, use something to act like a little dish (I use aluminum foil) and put the disks on top of it. Never had problems with this method.
I would not use tap water - distilled. A gallon will last you nearly a lifetime.

Reactions: haebar

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Humidity disk are awful and can cause mold. Don't do it. I keep my pipe tobacco in a jar with a sealed lid and thats it. If you must use Boveda pack but go lower than the cigar percentage.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
For those of you that use the disks, how do you go about disinfecting them to prevent transmitting mold from one jar to another?

I don't transfer discs. They are very inexpensive, so I just buy them by the handful ans dedicate them.

And again, be sure to use distilled water - not tap water.

I never had a problem since.

- Sherm 'Spongy and Fresh Tabak' Natman