PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
there is no value in a pipe someone else drooled in.

What a foolish thing to say....however some people do feel this way.
they can keep that mentality so I can get it from them free or at least dirt cheap.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
OK here it is!! Luckily I got the chance to go by. I am sooo sorry about the resolution on the picture, but getting it was hard enough as the room was dark.
I can imagine there are some treasures there. I told the guy if he ever wanted to get rid of some let me know.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I cannot even tell you all the brands, I did see Grabows, Kaywoodies, Meers, clays, Metals, all shapes and sizes. Quite overwhelming to say the least. I did not touch not a one, besides my eyes were boggled at the shear size of the collection.

I cannot image trying to research it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Bloody Hell! Wait until I show the wife - proves she's got nothing to worry about. Yet.
Now, how much do we think I'll need to match that bad boy collection?!
Andy

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
8O Whoa...
I think Brother Fnord summed up my feelings about estate pipes...
I'd smile every time I lifted that pipe up to my cake hole and remembered all of your wonderful posts and ever quotable bon mots.
To me, refurbing an estate pipe is breathing new life into a piece of someone else's past. The fact that a well maintained pipe can last for a very, very long time is romantic to me, and I like the idea that some of my pipes saw humanity learn to fly, go extra-atmospheric, land on the moon, and could feasibly get into space themselves one day... These pretty little pieces of functional art will outlive each of us, if we take care of them
-- Pat
PS - Voorhees, I has a truck and can be very persuasive.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Pruss, if only. Seeing this collection in person was an event I won't forget. I can only hope I impressed my love of pipes and history enough he will remember that once the time comes. However that could be years and people forget. I'm hoping not.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Is there anything we could set up now to propose to this guy that will give a group of us first option should he or his decide to dispose of this collection (or part thereof?). That way, we can ensure that the set goes to a good home/set of homes? I'd definitely be happy to help out and contribute.
Andy

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Is there anything we could set up now to propose to this guy that will give a group of us first option should he or his decide to dispose of this collection (or part thereof?). That way, we can ensure that the set goes to a good home/set of homes? I'd definitely be happy to help out and contribute.
+1 - Moi aussi.
-- Pat

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I cannot say. I barely know the guy and found out only through work related events, so I really don't want to seem too pushy.

Its a delicate situation for sure.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sounds like you're playing the right cards, Jason. Sounds like you have folks here that would be happy to incorporate as the Foundation for the Acquisition of Retired Tobacco Smokers (FARTS) to aid in the rescue of 1000 used burners.
Just holler if we can help.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.