PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
How d'ya do y'all,

Pipe smoker 20 some odd years (begun in early college), delving in in earnest 13 yrs ago, and finally back at it after a hiatus.

Once upon a time had an account here. At one time offloaded some cellared 'baccy in 2012 (bout 3-4 lbs of Penzance--give or take) in an effort to round up some extra dollars for an engagement ring. I did not gouge the price. Hombre got a steal. I do miss the stuff, but I do love my wife. Theres a joke somewhere in there about my wife being smokin'--shes a N.O. native Creole princess.

Taken back to the pipe whole heartedly in a effort to regain what calmer moments have been lost to the chaos of house buying, kid rearing, house selling, uprooting from NC, house buying again, and modern life in general, etc...

Nothing real special here but a true love of the pipe weed and the somber meditative moments and philosophical ponderings that come with its airs. No pretenses. I hold a firm philosophical belief in the power of tobacco to unite humanity in peace and shared prosperity.

Maine does not allow tobacco to be shipped by mail. !!!TF OMFG WTF FR!!! Liberty my tuchis (tuh-kiss).

I enjoy most tobaccos, Va/Per, English, Lat/Balkins, and Aros, though I tend to prefer milder smoother less "spicy" lower to medium nic blends. But I'll try all things with an open mind.

Last smoke today (usually one a day) was some old jarred Frog Morton whose label was lost somewhere long ago and its proper name long forgotten (By the Pond?)--but jeez do I miss that stuff. I have but the one small jar left (maybe 3 oz) and would do anything to get my hands on more or find something similar. Any recommendations, please? Such beautifully balanced blends. Enjoyed it in a black smooth Stanwell gilt edged ?56? billard.

My great aunt used to bring the kids (my bros and sister) molasses tobacco twists when I was young (maybe 6 or 7), my mother would put them on the top of the fridge and dispose of them when she left. I come from a tobacco family. Tobacco farm. RJR tobacco jobs. Tobacco funded colleges paid for by tobacco peddling. A tobacco elevated country, economy and culture. Tobacco art on the walls. Stories and relics of the heyday. I lament our dwindling consciousness of its hidden powers. Damn the infernal cigarette for ruining it for everyone.

My wife hates "smoking" but has never been around pipe smoking but for me. She deals with it. Or, rather, I deal with it. Outside. Though I'm going to have a slab poured and erect a "garage" shop... Grave needs require bold solutions. I have only recently exposed my children to my pipes.

Previous smoke (before the Frog Morton) was Pirate Cake cellared for 10 years. Grew much milder, much to my liking. Smoked in a Parker Knight, not a favorite pipe, not a looker at all to my eye, but a sufficient tool for its job. It is not neglected. Considering removing its varnish, but may just let it be. Not sure what it will do to the stain.

Have a Peterson Spigot 606 coming in, in the coming days, a Newgrange, my first Peterson. I have a small collection of Pipes, and by collection I mean an attempt to have a different pipe for everyday of the work week which then became an attempt to have a pipe for specific tobacco types. Not many, though some have come and gone--thanks to Jon Doe, that roommate of yore that thought other forms of pipe weeds might work in the old briar. Sheesh. Though I am pipe obsessed, I tend to window shop a lot. My few pipes have served me well. My envy is bought simply by a light weight Dunhill pot bent or straight, chestnut or country with Cumberland stem. Have my eye on an estate that looks well cleaned. But just my eye.

I relish the pipe smoking, strong jawed, sharp chinned reminiscences of the American figure that showed the world what compromise and freedom could accomplish. The man and his new-fangled power mower. That jaw (to my mind) always clenched a straight stemmed pipe in the Art Nouveau style. Not the straight stem of the pretentious high-born, but the straight stem of the man of vector with inertia directed towards his labor. Still, I do love the ponderous imagery of the hanging pipe with bent stem as thought the mind of the smoker too is drooping to settle into ponderous thought, all physical manifestations of self outwardly relaxed to redirect all exertions to the mental faculties.

I have misplaced my "cellaring" shoeboxes (but for one) in the most recent move, and am gravely pained for the presumed loss.

I am a writer foremost and an educator by trade with a deep respect and natural longing for jobs of true labor whether they be physical or mental.

That is all.

Thank you to so many of you on this site who have been here so long sharing yourselves, your wisdom, your love, and your hobby.

With a Hearty Electronic Handshake from somewhere out on a random cape in this great northern state from a simple boy from the old North State far far south of here.

Cheers

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from Illinois and enjoy your new Peterson Newgrange Spigot.

Post a pic of your Peterson in the Show Off Your Peterson thread.

Reactions: Fralphog

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Hello from The People's Republic of New York. wait a minute...... North Carolina? Checks calendar... December is around the corner.... you poor soul.....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Hey" from your home ground in the Old North State, displaced myself, long ago, by college, the Navy, the GI Bill, and marriage, from Chicago area. Maine is a beautiful place, though a bit serious in winter.

Reactions: Fralphog

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome from Texas. I went to college in Maine, returned from 1993-2015. Left because taxes were a killer along with the cost of heating the manse.

It is a beautiful place.