PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Speaking of flakes... Do ya'll have a problem with the flakes that used to come in the rectangle tins that are now packaged in round tins? I have the damndest time separating the flakes now as they all stick together in one large chunk and by the time I get them all seperated it's more of a broken flake than the pristine flakes they used to be in the rectangle tins. Really chaps my hide, it makes the fold and stuff method a lot more challenging.
Yes, it's a pain in the arse and to say that I'm pi**ed off that some puny, bureaucratic waste of blood and organs has dictated to me and mine what kind of tins my leaf should travel in would be an understatement of monolithic proportions. If there is such a thing as universal justice then that/those detestable worms should be roasting on the subterranean Rotisserie until the end of time.
Aged Burley Flake, 633 and any other rectangular cut flakes like it have no business in large round tins.
Don't even get me started on Dunhill and the way Dark Flake now arrives because that's just laughably crap. Why they have gone the route of putting 50g of square-cut flake in these damned ugly 100g round tins when no other blending house has is mind-boggling. For crying out loud, just do it the way Samual Gawith is doing it and that's putting 50g of tobacco in a 50g tin that slides into a box which itself is covered in cretinous clap-trap. It's not perfect but it's better than Dunhill's stupid cans.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@hawky454
I prefer the square tins as well. Flakes are square. Makes sense.
@jazz
You might enjoy reading Burroughs on "control." Start with the tea-head rant first, though, because it's relevant. Basically, controllers make niggling stupid little rules because that gives them something to enforce upon you, to break you, and make you subservient. Subjugation by nanny details!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pat, thanks buddy.
hawky, I have not bought tobacco for over a year so I know nothing about square tins going round. I guess I lucked out with Solani 633 as all of my tins are square. I expect that the flakes that went from square to round probably look like the flakes in a tin of Astleys no 44. They are square flakes but are kind of mashed together making it a pain in the ass to get them out nice and neat.
I think the reason people went from square to round is that the round tins never rust where as some of the square tins for some reason do rust. Mac Baren Old Dark Fired tins have an issue with rusting, did they go to round tins yet?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I could be wrong here as I usually am but it is my understanding that the square tins went round so that they could have more room to put on those nasty scare tactic warning stickers rather than for reasons that would benefit the consumer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Round tins seal better than square or rectangular as well. But with the exception of a couple of tins, I throw them out when done; others get stuffed into bail tops for easy reach.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I could be wrong here as I usually am but it is my understanding that the square tins went round so that they could have more room to put on those nasty scare tactic warning stickers rather than for reasons that would benefit the consumer.
This.
It's nothing to do with rust Cigrmaster. It's to do with absurd tobacco laws this side of the Atlantic. They don't have to be round though, Samual Gawith is proving this. Mac Baren and Germain are selling their stuff in pouches in the UK now and they are not trustworthy in the cellar in my opinion.
It's all petty and pathetic and quite clearly demonstrates the minds of the terminal cretins who are forcing this nonsense upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.