Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
I get suggestions from you guys to insert cleaner into drawer to absorb the moisture or push tobacco back. But my question is two of my pipes are bent pipe and the cleaner cannot be inserted to the bowl no matter how hard I try which is not a problem for a straight draw pipe. So any suggestion for that? Thanks in advance.

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
i also used tapered ones but it can't be inserted to the bowl. I suspect the opening of the hole is incorrect.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i use brigham cleaners as they r thinner and i insert into brig. bent stem all the way to bowl but u have to bend the first inch or so first. Takes a knack but once u git it its ok. all my other bents is easier

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
Hello Ace57. My two bent pipes: one is from Peterson and the other is from Savenelli.
Thanks Nsfisher. I will try to order those cleaners.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 netfisher.
Put a slight curve in the last half, or what you find works for your pipe, by firmly holding one end in your right hand and grasping the cleaner between your thumb and index finger of your left hand . Then sliding the left had thumb/finger to the other end. Adjust the bend to what works. :puffy:

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks Ioneredtree. I tried your method but no lucky. BTW my cleaners are from BJLong. I think this is the only kind I can buy in DC.
I will check if I can order Brigham online. Let's wait.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have a couple of bents that needed work to take a cleaner. I used a small, bent needle file to smooth out the opening, than a cleaner could be inserted. One example was a very nice Taylor-era Ashton that will now not only take a cleaner, but smokes much better. That needle file also fixed a Boswell and a few others. Measure twice, cut once is a good adage to remember when tinkering in this manner....

briarbrother

Lurker
Dec 13, 2011
Most of the pipes i have are bent varieties, especially my savjnelli 604 oom paul (I love this pipe) and they are hard to clean unless taken apart. Does anyone have a picture of the way the pipe cleaner should be molded to clean bent pipes?

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
AL, I once think of your way. But I am not good at it. Don't you think it may damage the opening ?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
DJi: if you're handy and are experienced looking at pipe opening and stuff, I'd give the filing a shot. Personally, I'm staying away from that. Too afraid I may damage the pipe.
On the pipe cleaners. If your Peterson is a system pipe, it's going to be difficult, not matter what. Little bitty pushes closes to the mouth piece (1/8 of an inch at a time). A little upwards bent at the end of the pipe cleaner before you start and then when it gets stuck, twist the pipe cleaner while pushing gently. That's what I have figure out to be the easiest way.but it still remains difficult for me. I was at a store a couple of weeks ago and an old-timer took the pipe, the pipe cleaner and pushed it all the way in first time. :oops:
As with everything pipe smoking, practice makes art !

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
Thanks so much ML. I truly admire that old-timer! Amazing. Actually I have tried your way but as you recognize, it's still difficult and never works for me.
But I love bent pipes. I feel it's better than straight for taste.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Actually, if your Peterson pipe is a System pipe, it's a moot point. You can remove the stem anytime.
Dajibash, if you can TASTE the difference between a bent and a straight pipe, I'm IMPRESSED!

dajibash

Lurker
Nov 3, 2011
big van, I suppose I can taste the difference though I think this is might just a feeling. Because bent pipe let the smoke cool in the curve, so I can enjoy more rather than straight one, which is usually hotter and sometimes gives me tongue bite. I am a newbie and as I said this is just a feeling.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Actually dajibash (Welcome aboard by-the-way) that tongue bite usually results from steam created in the bowl.

There can be many reasons for this, and a bent pipe can bite just a badly as any straight pipe.

Some factors that may affect steam production are: (and there are many, so I won't list them all [ one reason being, I don't know them all ])
a) tobacco moisture

b) rapid puffing; causing the tobacco to burn hot

c) bowl geometry

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Dajibash, I know that can be frustrating as hell. I have had a few pipes that wouldn't allow a cleaner all the way through. My mistake for not running one through before buying, but sometimes you just assunme it will work as it's supposed to.

My last one that did that was a Butz Choquin Jumbo bent. It cost me $35.00 new, purchased on line. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't accept a cleaner all the way to the bowl.

I liked the feel and shape so much that I contacted a pipe repair shop and sent it to them for correction. I forget the shop now, but I was told that they recieve a lot of this type of request, especially from full bent pipes.

It cost me $15.00 plus shipping to get it corrected. Now it is working like it's supposed to. So now I have a $50.00 pipe that smokes and handles great.

Go online and contact several repair shops and get an estimate if you really like the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.