PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I don't understand the urge to pal up with just any pipe smoker just because they are a pipe smoker which is what I gather is your goal. Someone is either a pal or nor irrespective of whether he smokes a pipe or collects fine China plates or goes golfing every weekend. There is much more to a personal friendship than if the other person smokes a pipe though of course that could be helpful.
As for asking for their 'phone number, that is very likely to put the other person on edge for obvious reasons.
Just smoke your pipe as you can and where you can...the rest will in time fall into place if it's going to happen.
Regards,
Jay.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
If your campus is smoke free you will need to find a place off campus. With Winter approaching, somewhere inside is going to be a priority. In college, the most likely place that will be is in a house that doesn't stigmatize against people the way you do. If you want friends to smoke with, you will have to be friendly yourself. Not everyone is a giggling idiot.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
how do i find smoking buddies?
Think Dead Poets Society.
You need some place on the edge of campus where you can meet and form a salon.
Look for interesting people. Pipe smokers tend to be intelligent outsiders.
Good luck!

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Here's a thought for you. Try punting around with your pipe in your mouth. It doesn't have to be packed or lit. Just having it in your mouth will be noticed. I wander around with a pipe hanging from my mouth. When confronted show them it is empty.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am I in the minority that I enjoy my pipe most when I'm alone?
I can really only enjoy it before work on Saturday mornings. I gotta say, I like it that way. Resting contemplation with a nice pipe is a good way to de-stress from a week of hot messes.
I recently found out that my neighbour across the street enjoys a cigar now and again. He has invited me to join him with my pipe. While I am excited at the prospect of a communal tobacco bonding experience, I realize it's not necessary for me to enjoy my pipe.
TL;DR if you are looking for friends, don't make pipe smoking your shared interest.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Posts like this make me glad I'm asocial. And, then he equates college with "real" life.
My suggestion is to get on with your college studies and leave the pipe for when you are less stressed, have found some friends, and an area where you can slow down enjoy the pipe. You say the college has "smoke breaks", that sounds promising. Would a skate board, scooter, roller skates, big twin Harley get you to the smoking area faster? Or, next semester select classes which are closer to the smoking area so you can enjoy the "smoke breaks." I wish my university had smoke breaks back in the day.
I believe we are being toyed with.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Pipe is very different from other tobacco smoking. It is for me a meditation, a contemplation, an hour to think on myself and the world around me. If inside (which I prefer) it's a company with a book, if outside it's a company at looking at the birds or at the stars. I don't conceive smoking pipe with others, it will destroy the meditation process.
Now if you say you'd like to meet people to talk about pipes and tobacco it's another matter and this is why these forums exists, and the friends you can find in this forum you are real and likely you won't be able to find comparable ones in the short radius from where you live. I would suggest to write and participate actively in the discussions of this forum for the topics of interest to you, you will find the best friends you can on pipe smoking. About smoking, relax and enjoy the smoking by yourself.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Am I in the minority that I enjoy my pipe most when I'm alone?"
Most certainly not. I actually get annoyed if anyone tries to engage me in conversation whilst I'm enjoying my pipe. To me, the two are not compatible.
Michael, what on earth is a "bagammon club"....is it some Alabama thing?
Regards,
Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As a social deterrent, smoking is often under rated. It repels skeeters and people. Both are good things at times. Alone with a book and pipe? Alone with a camera and pipe or cigar? Both enjoyable to me. Some crave social contact, some do not.
I will pass along some great news for my town. Lat week the opening of a brick and mortar tobacco store was announced. I will suck it up and drive into town this week to check it out. From the adverts it is definitely pipe and cigar oriented, no glass or roll your own. Hope my assumptions are realized. I'll try to keep the socializing to a minimum! :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Warren -- what a great new business. I hope it is immediately what you want it to be, but if it has some inventory or staff limitations, give it time. You might have to instruct them a little, see if they can take good advice. Having a pipe shop versus not having one -- a world of difference.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Alone with a book and pipe? Some crave social contact, some do not."
A man after my own heart :clap:
I only see one person a week, a kindly neighbour who picks up my perishable groceries for which I am very grateful. Other than that I am happy to go weeks without interacting with another soul and that pleases me no end.
I am more than happy to be in my own company and have no great desire to intermingle. I can of course and sometimes I have to but I much prefer to be left alone.
I used to be quite the opposite but bad experiences of human nature got me to change my ways.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.