PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Tile edited for caps and brevity. Original:

Smoking again after a 20-ish year break: How to avoid ashtray mouth?

I like everything about smoking except for the taste in my mouth afterward. Having had a clean palate an tongue for all these years, I am not at all interested in getting used to that aftertaste again. What I've been doing is smoking just a little bit each day and being careful to not let it build. What are some tips for minimizing it in general?

Last edited by a moderator:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Limiting the number of smokes.
Keep well hydrated. Alcohol tends to dehydrate
Having chewing gum/snack/food after a smoke (aids saliva production and acts as a palate cleanser)
Biotene mouth rinses or just plain brushing your teeth, if necessary

Never had to do anything more
But then I only have 2 smokes (occasionally 3) on Saturday and Sunday

If all fails, Asian supermarkets have some pretty pungent snacks that can be guaranteed to get rid of ANY ashtray mouth rotf

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Thank you, all good tips. I agree that the number one thing will be going easy. I used to smoke a lot, so I don't think I thought about it much. Now though, I notice it right away if it starts to happen. Ick.
I have noticed the food thing... if I smoke after eating, my mouth still has that food residue and it seems to help prevent it a bit.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 Biotene mouth rinses plus a good tongue scraper - I just started breaking out all the blends after a few years off - had the same problem - also if you like ginger / candied ginger also helps me reset between smokes and also perhaps peels me off the floor from a massive NIC hit / strong blends in too big of a pipe...will I ever learn...NOPE

Thanks and praise to JimInks for all the outstanding tobacco reviews he continues to do for us all - He has helped me stock a very full-spectrum tobacco cellar over the years bdw

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
+1 Biotene mouth rinses plus a good tongue scraper - I just started breaking out all the blends after a few years off - had the same problem - also if you like ginger / candied ginger also helps me reset between smokes and also perhaps peels me off the floor from a massive NIC hit / strong blends in too big of a pipe...will I ever learn...NOPE

Thanks and praise to JimInks for all the outstanding tobacco reviews he continues to do for us all - He has helped me stock a very full-spectrum tobacco cellar over the years bdw
Thank you for the kind words.

I should have mentioned a tongue scraper. I use one quite frequently. Thanks for mentioning it.