PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I average 1-2 bowls per day. As noted above, the headache is most likely a nic hit, and it can be cured with a teaspoon of honey. Why honey? Because of its rapid absorption into the boodstream. I'd recommend sipping, rather than puffing your pipe, and cutting back a bit if you can get past the craving for a cigarette. And yes, it will pass.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I usually only smoke 1-2 during the week; 3-4 on the weekends and sometimes I'm so busy I forget to smoke at all. It's nice to know though that the rate that tobacco comes in exceeds the tobacco being smoked... I'm building up a nice stockpile for the apocalypse. :wink:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I smoked cigs for about fifteen years. The last three years in the early 80's I was up to two packs of Marlboro reds a day. I was working where everyone smoked in a small confined space, and it became like immersion therapy for quitting. I had tried to quit unsuccessfully before when I really still liked smoking cigs, but eventually it became so disgusting that I quit cold turkey, no problem. That was a long time ago. I was in my teens when I started and in my late-20's when I quit.
I'm a much older guy now, but I am new to pipe smoking, and it's a real pleasure. I have been doing one bowl of Dunhill EMP in the morning after breakfast to help me plan my day and do paperwork before going out, and then one bowl of Dunhill 965 or London at the end of the day when I'm in the house and settled with a glass of wine and a book. No time or cravings for a pipe in between as I'm usually running around all day, but those two bowls make for a lovely way to bookend my day. It's awesome.
As far as the nicotine, I definitely feel it, especially with the 965 and London.

I don't mind it in the evening when I am relaxing with a glass, but it does take me down a notch or two, in a nice way.

Which types of tobacco carry the most nicotine? Which are lighter?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since I started smoking Virginias, my bowl count has gone way down. It used to be 4-6 bowls a day. Now it's 1-2. A bowl of Virgina will probably last me the day, as a bowl can go for hours. I also put down the pipe for several days every month. Since I only smoke outdoors, I don't feel the effects in my lungs as I'm not sitting in a cloud of smoke. Attending the WCPS in Vegas was instructive. My lungs were aching after a few hours of being immersed in pipe smoke.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I never smoked cigarettes. Oh, like all boys, I toyed with it, but the smoke made me sick and the smell today is offensive to me. I stopped before I started.
I have smoked a pipe since 1958. At one time, under great amounts of stress, I smoked a half-pound to a pound per week, every week. Not to mention cigars in between.
Now that I am in my dotage, I have cut way, way back. I have also learned the art of pacing. I can even smoke very strong tobaccos again, since I sip, and don't huff and puff.
I have found new love in my life of pipe smoking: and that is in the sweet and gentle practice of pacing myself, putting down the pipe when I feel myself puffing too hard, taking a time out to actually taste the tobacco and sniff the aroma in the air around me.
I smoke outside, never inside. And there are days when I don't smoke at all.
And this I have found true as Goethe said: True happiness springs from moderation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoke 3 or 4 bowls a day, but we're talking bowls and blends that last 45-90 minutes. That's pretty much all I want.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks guys, gave me an idea about how much you guys smoke. I think I'm gonna have to slow down a bit

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
As a former cigarette smoker, your internal 'clock' is probably set for frequent smokes. The change to pipe smoking should reduce this frequency simply due to the complexities and variables of the activity.

I have found that my attention span for a bowl of pipe tobacco may be influenced by my previous cig smoking and I tend to gravitate toward small bowls, short smokes, and a variety of tobacco throughout the day.

Fiddling with my pipes can substitute for actually smoking them sometimes, and I confess that not all bowls get smoked to the bottom.

I still tend to draw more vigorously than is probably required thus developing moisture that accumulates near the draw hole and degrading the quality of the experience. Re-lights of these bowls that have become goopy are usually an exercise in futility and I've learned to dump them and start fresh, usually with another pipe.

How many bowls? As many as I want.

Probably somewhere in the vicinity of a minimum of 10 a day, but counting is contrary to the pleasure of this exercise.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I usually smoke 1 bowl after every meal, that is, 3 bowls a day, but sometimes, if I am not working, I will smoke more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.