PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Diogenes??!!! Did someone say "Diogenes"??
diogenes-dog-and-lamp-statue-600x517.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sorry. Had no idea Coyote. :oops:
OK. I'm gonna clear something up then answer the OP.

Weight is a measure of force

This is true. Weight is the measure of gravity's force on an object with mass. Nuff said.
While smoking Blockade Runner on the porch just now with ambient air temperature of 65 degrees, the smoke neither rose nor fell but moved sideways. Therefore smoke weighs as much as air. A cubic foot of air weighs 0.0807 pounds per cubic foot at sea level. Variables such as temperature and exact gaseous composition will make this number negligibly (for our purposes) higher or lower. Cigar smoke weighs the same as Pipe smoke, unless you are a Capricorn. :)

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Actually, the weight of the smoke is even harder to quantify than it seems. I would conjecture that the majority of the weight lost would be water vapor, not actual particulate matter.
Hi Russ, the smoke will contain mostly solid particulate matter along with some gas and water vapor. Technically, that is all part of the smoke. But the smoke proper that you /see/ when you puff is mainly the particulate matter and does not create any pressure on the walls of a container such as a gas does in trying to reach equilibrium, and rises, as mso suggested, not for being lighter, but only because it is hotter than the surrounding air. As soon as it cools, it will spread out into the roon suspended by air currents until it eventually settles out onto your furniture.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I have a Master's Degree from MIT,
Then our nation is in trouble and we all deserve a refund. As to JV, I have never once seen him have anything but a most agreeable and contributory attitude to any post I've read!
As to weight being a force, that is not quite true. A "force" is some energy state (kinetic or potential) applied or transferred to another object from another, such as when a baseball bat hits the ball and changes its direction of flight. A force was applied to the ball. Weight is an /effect/ of a unit measurement of a fixed mass within a constant gravity. Take away the gravity and while the mass remains the same, where has the weight gone? The "force" has disappeared. Change the gravity and you change the weight. A little semantical I know, but the "force" in a mass's weight is the /gravity/ upon it, not the mass itself, so the weight is actually just the force of gravity /applied to/ or affecting the mass, not any native energy within or coming from the mass itself. Holding up a car, it is not the car's mass that is applying any force to the ground below but the gravitational field itself that the car is in. Gravity is the force, and weight is merely a unit of measurement of mass.
Getting back to the original smoke question, you have but to measure the pile of tobacco both before and after smoking--- the difference in weight is what was lost via smoking, hence, the weight of the smoke, particulate, gas and vapor combined. That allows for the infinitesimal amount that went towards building up the cake. Scrape well.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
As to weight being a force, that is not quite true
It is not true at all. I said...

Weight is the measure of gravity's force on an object with mass
I don't like looking things up on the internet, but here we are.
From http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mass.html

The weight of an object is the force of gravity on the object and may be defined as the mass times the acceleration of gravity, w = mg. Since the weight is a force, its SI unit is the newton. Density is mass/volume.
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/science/energy_electricity_forces/forces/revision/3/

Weight is a force, so it's measured in newtons. On the surface of the Earth an object with a mass of 1 kg has a weight of about 10 N.
From http://physics.weber.edu/amiri/physics1010online/WSUonline12w/OnLineCourseMovies/CircularMotion&Gravity/reviewofgravity/ReviewofGravity.html

Mass is a measure of how much material is in an object, but weight is a measure of the gravitational force exerted on that material in a gravitational field
DONE !! (drops microphone) :nana:

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Tmb, you have a low IQ!
Right! Ouch, I am hurt! Why wouldn't I expect you to resort to ad hominem attacks and leave the thread when you apparently cannot actually address any of the real issues or nonsense remarks you made.
DONE !! (drops microphone)
Well, you got me there, Mayfair, if you can find some half-baked idiotic websites somewhere to tell you that aliens are secretly running the USA, I guess you would hold that up as proof of something too. Look, I don't give a hoot whether anyone believe me or not, I haven't the time to waste, but I actually teach physics and other things in my spare time to people up to and including a research physicist at the Army Research Center working out of the University of Delaware, and know several people from MIT, Princeton, Raytheon and the like, and guess what Coyote, you're not a Master's of anything but bull.
The sad fact is that there is a great deal of misinformation in the world these days spread around not only by the internet but even in many books. Regardless of what you might read somewhere, weight is an /effect,/ the manifestation of the action of the gravitational field acting on its mass. While a gravitational force may be applied /through/ a mass in the form of a weight, the weight itself is not the force. It is the result.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have a Master's Degree from MIT, and you?
Either you are lying or the education system in the States has collapsed. You were the one offering a hygrometer to a member to calculate the moisture content of tobacco. When you were left against an argument you copy pasted the wikipedia page to the thread and disappeared.
Mayfair, from DAY ONE Jv has been all over me
Because you were posting the same comment to old dead threads to increase your post count. Any other person can go to your page and check that.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Mayfair, you are correct and knowledgeable! Also, it's a shame you need to provide links to prove a point. Guess some people don't know how too do a Google search... Lol
I'M DONE WITH THIS THREAD!
That's the problem. When you don't have any education or don't know anything about Physics, you just google it.
the "force" in a mass's weight is the /gravity/ upon it, not the mass itself, so the weight is actually just the force of gravity /applied to/ or affecting the mass, not any native energy within or coming from the mass itself.
They just won't understand.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Jv, my first day I posted to an old thread
"To an old thread" he said
Very nicely done! I'm sure you get a great smoke from that pipe. Enjoy for many years too come!

Very nice looking and well crafted pipes. Use in good health for many years too come!

Very nice pipe, especially for St. Patrick's day! Enjoy for many years.

Well done, congrats! Enjoy for many years!

Very nice pipe, well crafted. Hope you e joy for many years!

Very nicely done. Great craftsmanship! Hope it smokes well for you many years down the road.
"Not thread, but threads" responded jvnshr.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I'M DONE WITH THIS THREAD!
I will not reply to your thread responses and please do the same for me.
Jv, I'm DONE commenting to you! BEWARE OF STALKER!!
Oh, this DEFINITELY my last response to this thread or jv!
I hope you are serious this time.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
1Coyote gets all the fun. NO ONE is arguing about my answer to the OP. :crying:
TMB152- I'm sure you are a fine teacher. Sometimes you come off a little high handed and condescending in your posts. I think you are not that way in person, but I have no way of knowing. I have no idea what you are talking about when you are explaining Physics.
Jvnshr- I got no beef with you. You seem cool.
Cosmic- I've just about had it with your happy-go-lucky ways. :rofl:
Now I'm going to accelerate my mass into another part of the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.